1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Competition Pro/Cons?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I am looking at an 870 Competition, but have heard the recoil reduction (gas system) can wear out and parts/repairs are difficult to get. Should I look at an 1100 instead? An $8 shell catcher on an 1100 is a cheap alternative to having to search for repairs to an 870 Competition, plus you can remove the catcher to shoot doubles...Need help from the experts. Best Regards, Ed

butwhat thanked this.
  2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

contact Ray grimes ( he goes by "captin" on here) he is the 870 comp guru

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

870 Competitions are nice guns and a good idea but they are flawed. The should have made them a 2 shooter and not just a single shot. By lengthening the magazine tube and forearm, they could have accomplished this. That said, the gas system is finicky and if it gets dirty, the recoil absorbtion goes bye bye and you are shooting a regular 870 and that is not a whole lot of fun on a 400 bird day. They had some of the best fatory choked barrels ever produced and the factory wood was far above average. There were some problems with the receivers cracking in the rear but I believe that was caused by improper reassembly after cleaning and not a flaw in the gun itself. A not on disassembly - DON"T!! unless you are with someone who knows how to put one back together. Good gun but to answer you original question, I'd go with a Trap Grade 1100 over the 870 Comp. Far less tro worry about and easy to work on when something goes wrong.

Jeff

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

For a while in the 1980's, the 870 Comp's were the money winners around the Turkey shooting circuit. I can remember some truly unforgettable long distance shots made with an 870 comp.

A well cared for vintage 1100 TB may be just what the doctor ordered.

Ed Ward

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Pros: straight - if flat - shooters with the tightest shooting chokes I've ever encountered.

Cons: they kick about as badly as a usual 870 - at least mine do - and the captive long and powerful spring is just lying in wait to injure anyone who attempts to clean one without full-body armor.

Neil

butwhat thanked this.
  6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Thanks to all who responded! I learned several things I had not known about the 870 Comp - your help is genuinely appreciated. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.