1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 competition, need info

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

Having read varying opinions about 870 Competition models, I bought one anyway. It does not have the cracked receiver problems that some have mentioned and it has been shot quite alot, considering the bluing that's missing from the trigger guard area. So I suspect that the receiver is very sound, assuming that it would have had a problem by now if it was susceptable to cracking. This 870 was made in 1981, the first year they were made. What I need is any suggestions that current owners/users have about maintenance of the recoil system etc. I have already found that the barrel removal is difficult (maybe because it hasn't been done in quite awhile). Anyway, your advice would be appreciated. The forearm has two cracks, one from each end, but they do not seem to join. I will either repair or try to find replacement wood. Thanks,

bustclays

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bustclays,

Just have the exsiting forearm fixed as a replacement will be hard to find. The forearms are different than any other 870.

You'll get the hang of taking it apart to clean the recoil reducer tube and piston. I leave mine dry and haven't had any problems, but I clean mine once a week.

The triggers and the stocks are interchangable with other 870's. Mine has a Timney trigger, add-on rib, and a M/C stock.

Have fun with it, and they smoke targets(ie tight choked)!

ec90t

3. BustClays

BustClays Member

I took my 870 apart and got a chance to look at the recoil reduction system. Since I did not discover any "O" ring, I can assume that it is long since gone. I did see a groove where one would appear to have been at some time in the past. I will try to find one locally that will fit. Should I be lubricating this area in any way or just leave it dry? I did discover that the barrel removes easier when the forearm is about half way. I could not remove the "plunger assembly" because a small piece of metal protruding perpindicular to the plunger shaft, prevented it from sliding thru the ring which was attached to the barrel. Should this assembly be removeable?
    Thanks for you help,
    bustclays

4. 333t

333t Member

The "small piece of metal" is actually a spring that locks the piston to the barrel. Use a small screwdriver to depress the spring just enough so the piston slides over it. To replace the piston, cock the piston at an angle to depress the spring and it will slide right on.

The forearm you need is available from Numrich Gun Parts for $81.70. See above website. The o-ring is 1/16 X 13/16 OD X 11/16 ID, available at most any hardware or plumbing store. It goes in the groove near the gas ring. There should also be a couple of washer type seals on the smaller diameter portion of the piston.

Phil

5. neo

neo Member

870 Competition's have great barrels, parts for the gas system are hard to find. When you get tired of trying to find parts, just remove the gas system, plug the gas ports in the barrel and enjoy a great shooting 870.

6. BustClays

BustClays Member

Thanks for all the helpful info, I'll be shooting real soon.
    bustclays

7. BustClays

BustClays Member

Thanks Phil, for the dimensions on the "O" rings. I picked some up at Lowe's, cleaned up the gun, ordered a forearm from Numrich and a Limbsaver butt pad and by next week, I should be ready to give it a try.

Is it best to leave the recoil reducer assembly dry, slightly lubed or what?

Bustclays

8. 333t

333t Member

I keep the piston assembly clean and dry. Just wipe it with an oily rag before putting it back together. It is also a good idea to clean the spring and inside of the magazine tube once in awhile as residue gets in there and will eventually cause rust. There really isn't much on these guns to wear out.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.