1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Competition Mfg. Date Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WayneP, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WayneP

WayneP TS Member

I just got off the phone with Remington after asking what the manufacture date was for an 870 Competition Trap I am in the process of looking at. The serial # is X2634***. I was told that this 870 was manufactured in 1991! Everything I have read about the 870 Competition Trap said that it was manufactured only between 1981 and 1986.
    The gun in question is stamped "Competition" on the right side of the receiver as usual. The stock apparently has been changed to a TC or Classic straight stock.
    Can anyone shed some light on this???

Thanks, Wayne

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Wayne, I can't help with the SN but you're right - they weren't made in 1991. Look on the left rear of the barrel right in front of the receiver and tell me what the two letters stamped there are. That will tell you when the barrel was made and as long as it wasn't switched along the line, it will be within a month of the gun's production date.

Ed

3. WayneP

WayneP TS Member

Ed,

I don't have the gun as yet, and I can't make the letters out in the photos that were sent to me, but I am aware of the coding system.

Thanks, Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.