1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Competition Anybody shoot one?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

Does anybody still shoot one of these? I have an opportunity to purchase one that appears not to have been shot much. Comments please.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If you like pump guns with the recoil sensation similar to a gas operated semi-auto you will probably like it, they are still manually operated just softer feeling. They were about 745 bore & choked tight, good shooters, but if you already shoot light 1oz. or 7\8oz. you may not notice much difference than a std. 870. they are a single shot & you cannot put shells in the magazine because the recoil reduction system is in there, also there are NO shell stops in the receiver. I shot one for several years, until I went to 7\8oz.loads. Ross Puls

3. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I used to shoot one and sold it, realized that was a mistake and I got another that I'm now shooting. Very tight patterns and they shoot soft. I like a high shooting gun and although they have a straight stock I've read the comb is actually higher than a monte carlo stock so for me it shoots high. they usually have exceptional wood.

Cleaning is a little tedious but not bad. In my opinion they are a lot of fun to shoot.

Mike.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They have one of the best chokes Remington ever made. They will smoke a target from the 27 yard line and farther. As for the wood on them.. some are apple crate and some are awsome. Just depends on the gun.They do have a nasty habit of cracking recievers. Jeff

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I had one when they first came out. I didn't feel the recoil
    reduction system worked all that well. They have to be cleaned
    frequently to keep the recoil reduction system working. If you
    use a mercury reducer in a regular 870 there probably isn't
    much difference.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have an 870TC with the .745" Target barrel and a Dead Mule attached to the magazine tube cap. It is a VERY soft-shooting 870 but my Competitions are softer yet, even with light loads. I shot my 1100TT and one of my 870 Competitions on back-to-back traps once and they actually felt and sounded almost identical.

Ed

7. Crunch

Crunch Member

I just got one and am learning to shoot it now. It is one tight patterning gun! To me, the recoil is reduced by about 25 -30 percent over a regular trap 870. Also, for me, it only shoots slightly high. I put the front bead just on the bottom of the target. I either crush the 16 yard targets or miss them completely....no chips or big pieces. I've heard that for some shooters the Comps shoot too tight and they open the choke. I'm not there yet, but it is going to take some effort.

8. AveragEd

If you alter that choke, you will devalue the gun by as much as 50%.

Ed

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The barrel and choke dimensions on the Comp 870 are the same used on Remington's Model 31 introduced eighty one years ago to the trap shooting community. The model 31 was considered the number one target crunching machine then as the Comp 870 and 870 TC'S are now. Don't touch the choke, you will come to appreciate the magic Remington built into these guns..............

Surfer

10. Crunch

Crunch Member

I think I misspoke and created the wrong impression......I have no plans to alter the choke in my 870 Competition. I wanted to convey these guns are choked TIGHT. I'm sure, with a little more practice I'll find the "magic" of these guns.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The only one I ever had shot way too low for me. Maybe if I shot targets on the way down it woulda' worked. That experiment was a dismal failure!!

12. warren

warren Member

I have one and have won tournements with it I use it for a backup now but you point it in the right direction and it smokes em

warren

13. AveragEd

I've owned five of them and every one shot very high, which is how I like a gun to shoot. My 870TC with a Monte Carlo stock has had to have the comb made adjustable and then jacked w-a-y up for me to hit targets well with it. My Comps worked just dandy as they came out of the box.

averaged_2008_0303360.jpg

I sold a few of my Comps and one guy asked me to buy his back because it shot higher than he could handle. Even though they have a straight-combed stock, the comb is higher than a TC's Monte Carlo comb.

Ed

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Ed, The first Comp's I came in contact were when they first came to market. My friend bought one and couldn't hit a wall it shot so flat. He bent the barrel and still couldn't hit anything, I shot it with the bent barrel and smoked everything in sight and was going to buy it, but he let it go before we could make a deal. I've owned two since then and I have to agree with Andy Dawg they shoot flater than a pancake, at least the two I've owned.

Surfer

15. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

KEEP IT CLEAN...!!!!!!!!!!
    The 870 Competition is definitely NOT tha gun-of-choice for some who wants to shoot a coupla hundred targets on Sunday...wipe-er-down and throw her in the closet until next time.
    To make the magic happen...you have to keep the internals CLEAN. NO heavy lubing required..just keep the build-up removed.
    Yes, I have one. In fact...one of the first. It was my very first "serious Trap Gun". Still have it,wouldn't part with it for anything. NOT because it's such a target-crushing machine( it is a good Trap Gun)...but rather.."just because". After that..I was able to go through every up-scale gun available..All the P-guns, K-guns, etc..etc. To be perfectly honest...I ended up with LJUTIC. STAYED with LJUTIC, but there's nothing wrong with the 870 Comp. if you know how to take care of it.

16. AveragEd

Surfer, perhaps they raised the combs on later guns. Mine were all made toward the tail end of the production run. Now, most other Remington trap guns - I agree that they shoot REAL flat!

Ed

17. rkagawa

rkagawa TS Member

I am looking for an original stock set for this gun. does anyone have one for sale?

18. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

Surfer, what comps have you measured? all of mine measure .740" + and all my model 31 TC's only have .732" bores (I have a field gun "build up" 31 at .727"). The comps have around .040" choke and the model 31's run around .031" or .032". never seen a model 31 with a "big bore" barrel. I love my 31's but they don't compare to 870 competitions. apples and oranges!! Jack

19. Crunch

Crunch Member

Ed, You mentioned your Comps were made toward the end of production run. How do you tell? Serial number? Crunch

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought mine new in '83 so one of the early ones.....has a AA fencepost for a stock...and keeping them clean is paramount...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.