1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Competion Trap D Grade

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Competition was made in higher grades. They would have been made in Remington's Custom Shop; I should be speaking with the Custom Shop manager tomorrow and I'll try to remember to ask.

Ed

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

They came in 1 grade only...they had nice, sometimes fabulous wood (American Black Walnut) and all had straight comb stocks and superb barrels....an underappreciated target killer IMHO....

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Back in the era they were manufactured (early 80's) one could have probaly ordered the Remington Custom Shop to upgrade to whatever your wallet could stand, but I've never seen or heard of any being built that way...

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Nor have I, but I just spoke with Keith at the Custom Shop, who celebrated his 40th year with Remington last Friday. He believes some "D"-grade Comps were built but cannot recall how many might have been produced and records for that era are no longer available. He does recall the Custom Shop embellishing an 870 Comp receiver every now and then before sending them to the production line for rollmarking and assembly.

From that information, it's apparent that any high-grade Comps were not true Custom Shop guns as they not assembled there, but we have learned that the triggers in those guns were assembled with extra care and removable-barrel shotguns aren't subjected to the fitting tolerances of a bolt-action rifle or break-open shotgun, so that might be a moot point.

It's safe to say that if just 5,300 Comps were ever built, and that seems to be an accepted figure, there sure couldn't been many high-grade ones and those guns, if still in nice shape and unaltered, should command a respectable price.

Ed

5. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I had one of the nicest "comps" and it was really beautiful. I got it by accident when I shipped a NIB 20 gage pump back to the factory with a letter explaining that me being 6'4" and 280# couldn't jack the slide how could I sell it to a weaker person and expect them to shoot it and that they should be ashamed of themselves for sending out junk! Well they exchanged it and sent the "comp" in it's place. I lost it to a car accident and the pawn shop that sold it out from under me while I was in the hospital. Why it was in the pawn shop is another long story!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 870 d grade

remington 870 t and d grade trap guns remington custom shop

remington 870 trap grades