1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 comp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tom Gonos, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Gonos

Tom Gonos Member

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD TROUBLE WITH THE FOREND SPLITTING THEIR 870 COMP? SHOOTING MINE YESTERDAY AND IT SPLIT FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.SOMETHING TO TIGHT OR LOOSE? SEND PM THANKS TOM

2. Skrap Shooter

Skrap Shooter TS Member

Yes, mine developed a split. Having no idea what to do, I asked a wood working friend. He advised to carefully open the crack just a little bit, inject epoxy from the inside only, squeeze together and quickly remove any excess epoxy on the outside of the forend. I used a hypodermic syringe with a short needle. The epoxy is holding and I've had no further problems. You might have a diabetic friend who'll give you an old syringe and needle.

The other option is to replace it. Numrich has it in stock.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Shotguns-37896/870CT-41217.htm?page=2
    Part# 577980 Forend, 12 Ga., 11' OAL, For Models w/ Counter Recoil Gas System. $98.50. I bought one just to have a spare.

My receiver also developed a very small crack at the rear of the ejector port. Several guys on this site advised to drill a very small hole at the back end of the crack. I did, problem solved as the crack has not gotten any larger.

Several 870 Comp shooters on this site also said to make sure the forend nut is as tight as you can get it in order to prevent receiver and forends cracks.

Hope some of this helps.

3. Tom Gonos

Tom Gonos Member

Thanks I ordered one last night last night from Numrich.I will try some glue on the old one it has a pretty large crack.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Tom: Take the wood off the metal completely, then follow Skrap Shooters advice, stretch a couple rubber bands around it for half an hour or so, works fine and it won't split there again, beside it maybe but not in the epoxy. Ross

5. Tom Gonos

Tom Gonos Member

Thanks Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.