1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Comp spring removal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The "magazine spring" that propels the recoil reducing weight forward on both of my Comps comes right out when the barrel is removed. I'm guessing yours is rusted in place, so perhaps some soaking with a rust penetrating substance would be in order.

Ed

2. 333t

333t Member

There should be a tan colored polymer seal attached to the spring at the receiver end. Sometimes these get jammed and stuck in the magazine tube/receiver. The dowel and hammer should certainly knock it loose unless it is really jammed in there.

Phil

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!! That spring can come out of there, aimed for your eye, at 100 MPH!

Neil

4. 870compman

870compman TS Member

Gemini:

Yes that spring should come out easly when you remove the barrel. What happened to me was the polymer seal got old and boken. I had to force it out. I don't remember how, I think I used a dowel and WD-40.

I made a new one on our metal lathe at work from aluminum stock. I shot my 870 comp for 10 years now and never had any trouble with removing the spring.

O ring gas seal;
    I started using the o-rings from our Granger o-ring kit at work. They did not last as long as the ones Remington sells. Now I add a couple when I order parts from Remington.

Trigger;
    Remington put a good trigger in the 870 comp but you can make it better. I cut a half coil off the trigger spring and install a Trigger shoe. Then, mesure the trigger pull. I set mine to 2.5 lbs to 3 lbs. It takes some getting used to but I think you will like it. Tyler Mfg makes trigger shoes and Bronells sells trigger springs. I carry an extra trigger in my shooting bag but I have my modified one has not failed.

Dale Wolff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.