1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 comp small hairline crack MIG or TIG?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joey S., Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

I just purchased an 870 competion as a project gun - I'd like to restore it over the winter. It hase a small hairline crack behind the ejection port of the receiver. Would it be better to have this MIg welded of TIG welded? Thanks, Joe S.

2. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Maybe just stop-drilling a hole at end of crack will save reblueing and welding along with some money.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Either way, the weld will show up when reblued.

ss

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would TIG weld it for ease on small delicate areas. The fact is if you get good penatration it really doesn't matter. Your gonna be grinding and sanding with either. You need to be very careful on how much and for how long you apply heat to the area. I also agree that it will be difficult to hide the area when the rebluing process is done but not impossible. I would take it to someone that knows what they are doing. They are out there.--Matt

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Compare the cost against a replacement receiver from Remington. I'd opt for the replacement if the difference isn't that much.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Tig weld. Check out the video 11,12,13, in the above link. Art shows you tig welding and annealing a receiver. Quackshot might be right.

Wayne

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What do ya think the chances are of Remington having a reciever for an 870 Comp?

Gne J

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Roger F,, vendor at elysberg Pa shoots,,,hes from NJ had a 870 comp parts gun i think at the westy hogan,, 870 comp is the single shot model with built in recoil reducer right,,, maybe someone can help you find him

9. rooster59

rooster59 TS Member

TIG absolutely. How long is the crack?

10. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

The crack is a little less than a inch long. I am going to have somebody weld the seem and then try ma hand at the metal work and the reblue. This is a "fun" project for the winter. It's Ok if it doesn't turn out perfect.

Thanks for the link Wayne - its always nice to watch someone who knows what they are doing.

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Tig weld would be the prefered method. If finished correctly and then instead of bluing use a coating like Gunkote or even better, Ceracote, it will be invisible.

12. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

I have had several crack. All you have to do is have a groove cut into it just like an 1100. I have been told that the reason they crack is you have to keep the mag. cap screwd down real tite.

13. wolfba

wolfba Member

Can someone post a pic of the crack. Also is there any other info as to why they crack? I just bought one and would like to do everythign possible to keep it from cracking. I mainly shoot factory loads maybe up to 1250fps. Can the receiver handle these loads?

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

wolfba,

The reason why the comps crack is because they were shot with a loose barrel, like BufferBob stated.

Keep the magazine cap tight and make sure the detent pin is in good working order. If the pin is missing then order a new one and spring from Remington. They are a little pricey, but nearly as pricey as a receiver!

Shoot whatever shells you want as the receivers are as strong as any other 870. Just don't let the barrels get loose.

ss

15. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I would just get a new receiver/gun. It's just not worth the hassle....I mean, if the receiver cracked, that tells me that it's got a GAZILLION rounds through it already, so why screw around??

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Cause you have the tools and knowledge and the big one, they don't make them anymore.

17. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

BufferBob has it right! Remington couldn't stop the crack either so they mill it in at manufacture. If you TIG weld it and close it up, it will crack again. Drill a hole at the end of the crack and let it go.

Jere

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

mill a slot as suggested

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.