1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Comp Price Check

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by redjones, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redjones

redjones Member

Just looking for a ballpark figure.
    870 Competition,Anton rollover Stock,Timney release trigger,30" BBL. Full choke with work done by Stan Baker,Money Maker High Step Rib,BBL has been ported and backbored,gun looks like it has had very few rounds thru it,Metal is 98 plus,forearm is like new,Stock has some spider cracks and a couple of small handling marks but is in great shape overall.
    Any thoughts would help me out alot,too many variables involved for me to even take a guess.

Thanks..........Greg

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Zero without pics

3. redjones

redjones Member

Sorry no Pics,its not my gun I just ran across it today and was kinda interested in it.

Greg

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

What's the ask?

We believe you that it's in good condition, but that's a lot of work been done for it not to have been shot.

Unmodified guns come up here fairly regularly.

Bob

5. algebra1

algebra1 Member

What is rhe asking price?

6. shark1

shark1 Member

Way down with mods. People want this gun in top notch condition as a safe queen. I had a chance to buy this type of gun mod-ed out with porting new stock, the whole 9 yards 325 at Pa gun show ( Allentown in Feb 2010). Untouched 870 Comp's will bring the cash and lofty sums at that to say the least, 600, 700, 800. Condition is most of the gun to a collector, not a shooter. I like these and look on a regular basis. Mike Sharkey, DC

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to hear about a Comp that shot flat. I had three unaltered ones (now have two) and they all shot/shoot 125% high. But they were all built later in the gun's production run.

Selling prices of 870 Competitions, like anything else, depend upon what the people looking at them are willing to spend. I know that sounds rediculously simple, but with these guns, it's a real factor. Forget the Blue Book's $550 figure for 100% condition.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who have no idea what the gun is. I recently sold one of mine, a 100% original example in very good condition. I had people who responded to the classified ad I had in our local newspaper call to tell me there is no such thing as a "low-recoil, single-shot 870 trap gun." To those folks, an asking price of $700 for an 870 is crazy but that's what they seem to bring these days in nice condition (mine did). Shucks, 870TCs with the short forend and stock without a pistol grip extension are up for sale with an asking price of $550 quite often.

Ed

8. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Check out the rem 870 trap classic,not only beautifull wood but a great shooter and they are still being made, suggested retail is 1150 but you can find them new or like new for under $800

9. AveragEd

Mike, those are nice guns, for sure. But they don't offer the 1100-like recoil, higher POI, fuller and more curved pistol grip and overbored and tightly choked barrel of the Competition. The Competition differs from any other 870 in so many ways and that is what makes ownership of them almost cult-like.

Ed

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

870 comps are great guns and in un altered cond worth $600-700 but with the barrel work I believe it is a lot less. People buy these because the barrels were one of the best rem ever made. But then again the anton wood adds some but you say it is less than mint so?? I think it is going to be hard to sell with the barrel work even though Stan did it. I got $800 for the last one I had but it was almost new and had beautiful original wood

11. AveragEd

I know of one in the Pittsburgh area that is supposed to have never been assembled, let alone fired, and has gorgeous wood - I have some photos of it on my other PC. The owner is firm at $1,000. I buy guns to shoot so that one would be worth $200 to $300 less the instant I sent the first wad down the bore.

Yes, barrel work, regardless of who did it, hurts their value. There was one on GunBroker.com that had Briley choke tubes installed and it didn't as much as draw a bid over the course of three seven-day auctions. Right now, there is one on there with an 870TB stock and no one wants it, either.

Very limited-production guns - and with just 5,300 made by a company like Remington, the Comp's production was very limited - really suffer in value when they are altered.

Ed

12. redjones

redjones Member

Thanks everyone,just to be honest I had never seen so much work put into an 870.
    I saw it in a local gunshop and looked it over fairly well,its the original Remington bbl but its hard to say how much money was spent on the rib and barrel work alone,the rib must be aleast 2" high.
    Plus the trigger and stock,anyway they wanted $800.00,I guess you could part it out and make a couple of bucks.
    But I am sure someone will buy it.

Greg

13. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

Greg You should post pic's of The gun. Some of the Moneymaker jobs look cool and I know they can crush targets.. Not all the 870 Comps were all that nice looking.. Wish I had a moneymaker 90-T
    Best of Luck Harry

14. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I do not think they made an 870 comp that shot flat until somebody screwed with it.

Just a guy that wants one. I will get mine soon.

Kenny Uhlbeck

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I bought one in the mid-eighties. Had the same problem
    with point-of-impact. Mine shot 50/50 patterns. Also
    you had to keep the recoil system clean or it didn't
    do any thing expect add weight.

16. shark1

shark1 Member

I just watched one bring 750 plus buyers premium at auction today in Cal. $862.50 with buyers premium. It was ANIB and very nice wood. NO MODS! This was on 8/25/10. Mike Sharkey, DC

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Mine shoots flatter than my Ljutic...works great for wobble.

18. AveragEd

Every Remington shotgun I own shot flat and required an adjustable comb to get the POI where my break-open guns shoot. The photo below shows you how much I have to elevate the comb on my 870TC to get the pattern where I'm looking.

[​IMG]

The exception to that rule is the 870 Competition. As I said, I still have two and both of them plus the one I recently sold shoot/shot where I'm looking without adjustable combs. They are unaltered except for the Timney release I plug into them when I want to shoot one of them. But all three were made in 1985 or 1986, late in the gun's run. Perhaps the POI was lower on early guns.

[​IMG]

Honest!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.