1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Comp. Issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crunch, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crunch

Crunch Member

I just bought an "excellent condition" Remington 870 Competition on Gunbroker. Supposedly, it has only seen one box of shells before becoming a safe queen. Anyway, I've got a few questions about my new shotgun. Will the shotgun operate with the gas system disengaged? Does the gas release the bolt or does something else release the hull for ejection. Can a release trigger be used? Who makes one? Are the full chokes really more like extra full?
    What are shooters thoughts/reviews about this shotgun? How do I keep it functioning and not break down? Most of what I have read about the 870 Comp. is positive. Thanks, Bob aka "Crunch"

2. hoot619

hoot619 Member

the operation of the comp is the same as a reg 870. All the piston does is cut recoil down. You have to pump it to eject shell. It is a single shot pump. I take it you haven't handled one yet. others will chime in I imagine on this. Ken U

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a Timney release I use in my Comps and have no problems with it.

As I just finished telling someone in a P.M., it feels and even sounds like you are shooting an 1100 except that you have to operate the pump action to eject an empty hull. Where an 1100 vents gas onto the magazine tube that pushes the external piston and bolt backward, the Comp vents gas into the tube, pushing an internal piston backward. The 1100's bolt is returned to battery by a spring in the buttstock while the Comp's piston is propelled forward by a spring in the magazine tube.

Comp stocks are shaped differently than other 870 or 1100 stocks. The pistol grip or wrist is more rearward and fuller and the comb is higher than other 870 or 1100 stocks and choking is usually .038" to .040" with a .740" to .745" bore (they were intended to work well as a long-yardage handicap gun). They are also slightly heavier than most 870s.

If you are recoil sensitive or have arthritis that makes your joints hurt the day after shooting (like me) and don't care for autoloaders, you are a perfect candidate for an 870 Competition!

Ed

4. Crunch

Crunch Member

Thanks for the quick responses. Do 870 Comp. guns tend to shoot high or about 50/50? The one 870 Comp I did handle seem to be stocked to shoot high. I couldn't get down fully on the rib because of the high comb. I liked that. I used to shoot an 870 TC that I shot well but, it kicked the be-jesus out of me.

Ed, what kind of mechanical problems have you or others had with the Comp. How often do you clean?

5. AveragEd

Yes, with their intended long-yardage handicap usage, they do shoot higher than other Remington trap guns. How high depends upon your eye placement and how you cheek the stock, as with all shotguns.

I liken the maintenance requirements as being very similar to that of an 1100. Nothing has broken on any of mine thus far.

Ed

6. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

An 870 release trigger will work in your 870 Comp. If you are interested, I have a couple of 870 releases on hand. Alan

7. Crunch

Crunch Member

I just might be interested in your release triggers What have you got? Are they high quality units? How much use have they seen and how much do they cost? Bob

8. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have 2 Schwab and 1 Timney steel release triggers for an 870. 1 Schwab has a chrome lifter with very good bluing $165. The other Schwab, the bluing is mottled $150. The Timney has a few speckles on it but in nice condition $265. I don't know how much any of them have been used but I have shot all of them. Shipping is extra CONUS only. I can e-mail pictures if interested. Thanks, Alan

9. ThomRogers

ThomRogers Member

crunch you have a great 16 yard that will smoke targets, mine got me to the 27 and works great as well, also any 870 release will work. I bought a release from alant and it was all that was advertised and more very pleased great seller

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

An 1100 with a manual ejector great gun have to watch the receiver some develop cracks only draw back.

11. AveragEd

The only receivers I've ever heard of cracking had history of being used with VERY heavy loads - well over what normal people use for trap.

Ed

12. Crunch

Crunch Member

Thanks Ed and others for your opinions. I will try keep the nut "tool tight" and definitely keep the loads under 1 1/8 oz. and average speed. Hopefully, that will keep the receiver from cracking. Another question; say the gas system fails for whatever reason.....will the pump action still work and the gun still shoot? And one more question; when removing the barrel is there any danger of a spring shooting across the room? And, does the gas system work best wet, dry, somewhere in between?

13. AveragEd

As with 1100s, a thin film of grease on the top of the barrel extensions helps prevent cracking, too.

Yes, if the gas system leaks, you can still operate the gun like a normal 870 - except for loading more than one shell. But I often wondered if you could remove all the gas parts and load extras. Something to try...

No springs to fear - the spring in the magazine tube is not under a lot of tension and is too long to hide from you if you do remove it.

I clean my gas system parts as I do with my 1100s - with solvent then dry them and give them a light coating of oil just to control corrosion. Speaking of oil, at the strong recommendation of the owner's manual for my Kimber 1911s, I bought some Shooter's Choice FP-10 oil and found its coating still there after several hundred rounds. I now use it on all my guns.

Ed

14. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Always make sure that your mag cap is tight between each station. I always check mine at every station. just grab it and tighten it up, most of the time it does not turn , but when it does, you did good by tightning it.

When you clean your comp, take the piston off the barell and run a torch cleaner rod thru both of the gas relief holes that vent the gas to the piston.

Always check that o-ring on the barell, and get the viton o rings for it. If ya need a few, just message me. I will send ya a few to get ya going.

Good shootin guns.

Kenny U.

PS to all the comp shooters: NUMRICH has the original ring for the piston available to the competition. A very rare part

15. mike b.

mike b. Member

Mine cracked with 1 oz. 1290 fps loads. Kept the magazine cap tight, etc. Drilled hole at the end of crack and seems to have stopped the problem. Tight strong pattern and fun to shoot but keep the 2 gas channels opened with regular cleaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.