1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Comp crack fix?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike b., Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike b.

mike b. Member

Just noticed the dreaded 870 comp crack (1/4")on the rear of my ejection port. Have seen them welded (not pretty, but functional). Is there another way to remedy the problem??

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Have a slot similar to the one in an 1100 receiver milled thru the existing crack, then use a larger end mill to make a relief at the end of the slot.

Ken Rucker

3. BustClays

BustClays Member

Hey Captin, don't go sellin my gun now.

bustclays

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

A small hole drilled at the very end of the crack might help the thing from getting longer until you can get it fixed correctly. The hole you drill can be filled with J B Weld and might not look too bad.

Pat Ireland

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Do what Pat said before you shoot it again or the crack will become too bad to fix.

jim brown

6. mike b.

mike b. Member

Did I do it right?? Now the other question...what does "fixed correctly" mean?

7. mike b.

mike b. Member

Website for picture :http://picasaweb.google.com/mikebpics/870Repair/photo?authkey=hOFyjaXK7vY#5133236073090855874

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- Fixing it correctly can mean many different things. If you drill the hole, fill in with JB Weld (the stuff is black) and are happy with the gun, than that might be a correct fix. For others, drilling the hole, welding the crack, polishing the weld and bluing the receiver might be the correct fix for them. Others will believe the only correct fix is to sent the receiver back to Remington and ask for a replacement.

For you, the correct fix is anything that stops the crack from getting bigger and makes you happy.

Pat Ireland

9. emjake

emjake TS Member

A month ago, I sent a cracked 870 comp receiver to Remington. I received it back with a note stating "Obsolete; repair parts not available."

10. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I have never checked but other than the stamped name I doubt that there is any difference between a comp frame and a standart frame. You may be able to replace the receiver with an old stock 870 receiver.

jim brown

11. hairy

hairy TS Member

Don't they normally want a slot cut back to where you drilled the hole?

[​IMG]

12. mike b.

mike b. Member

Not sure, some say yes, some say it doesn't matter? Still hoping some concrete info will come through. As of now, will just leave the hole as shown and watch the area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.