1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 comp cleaning question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by windyflat, Aug 19, 2013.

1. windyflat

windyflat Member

Just bought an 870 comp and I'm curious which grade steel wool one would use to clean the piston?

I have some grade #0000 handy.. is that too fine?

Thanks

Tom

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used 00 for mine when I owned one

3. windyflat

windyflat Member

Thank you!

4. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Tom, I've seen one hard chromed, making clean-up easy. If you need any of the O-rings PM me your mailing address and I will send you some at no cost. Bob

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Almost any steel or brass wool will do the job. Keep the "ring" clean & free--gas ports open with a small drill bit--inside of gas chamber-"magazine tube" and return spring also need to be kept clean. There are no shell stops in the receiver of the Competitions but they do have a cup in the mag tube that holds the return spring, so pull that out & clean it occasionally, otherwise it and the spring will get stuck and be a real bear to remove.

PS. Don't ask how I learned about that ^%$#@$% return spring. LOL Ross Puls

6. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I have to ask, Ross, How did you learn about that doggone return spring?

Kenny U.

7. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I just wanted to read the story behind it.

Kenny U

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

BudsterXT:-- bought a used one in the condition mentioned by mac1.----- Then a few years later a buddy bought a used one that I don't think had EVER been cleaned properly, took both of us to get it apart. He tried to get it apart himself but couldn't so brought it over to my place and we both worked on it for a long time, he began to think they weren't supposed to come apart like I said so we got mine out and showed him. We finally got his apart too and cleaned up, works fine "now" he shoots it quite well (and cleans it) all the time. Ross Puls

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Windy, be careful! Put your safety glasses on first then point the magazine tube in a safe direction before you even start to take it apart!

There's a long, strong, and much-compressed spring lurking in there just waiting to jam something into your face or eye. Really.

Watch it!

Neil

10. windyflat

windyflat Member

Got it apart no problem..

Thanks Neil