1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

870 comp barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DC90-T, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DC90-T

DC90-T TS Member

Will an 870 comp barrel work on a regular 870
  2. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

3. Crunch

Crunch Member

No. A comp barrel has an extra piece that captures gas and sends it to push a piston. This extra part hangs below the barrel where the regular 870 magazine is located. I suppose a person could grind off this part and plug the gas .
  4. DC90-T

DC90-T TS Member

thanks for the info
  5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just mill the lug off that holds the piston assembly and it'll work just fine. It's hard to find a factory barrel, of any manufacture, that'll pattern better than a 870 comp barrel.

ss
  6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

7. DC90-T

DC90-T TS Member

I have an 870 comp but also have an old 870 tc i love to shoot

was just wondering because people talk about receiver being week

on 870 comp
  8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The receivers aren't weak on the comps. It has to do with shooting them with the barrel being a touch loose. Make sure the detent pin and spring in the forearm is in good shape. Make sure barrel retaining nut is kept tight and shoot away.

The added weight of the piston assembly and it's movement will cause issues if you don't keep the barrel retaining nut snug. The best way to do this is to plant the stock of the gun on the floor and push gently down on the muzzle end of the barrel with the palm of your hand (do I even need to say, "make sure the gun is unloaded"?)and snug the nut with your other hand. Never use pliers.

I've been shooting my comp for years and never had the slightest issue with the receiver cracking.

ss
  9. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.