1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 Classic Trap vs. 1100 Classic Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil R, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

870 Classic Trap vs. 1100 Classic Trap???

It appears that the 1100 Classic Trap is available for about an $80.00 difference over that of the 870 Classic Trap. I wonder if it is worth the difference. I know the 1100 can be fitted with a "catcher" to save the hulls. I shot an 1100 trap today and the difference in recoil was minimal. I appreciate any valuable insight from some of the folks who may have experience with both.
    Thanks,
    Neil R.

2. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Minimal recoil difference? Put a few thousand rounds through an 870, then shoot an 1100.

But nothing points like an 870...

cls

3. MikeMichalski

MikeMichalski TS Member

.....except maybe a model 12?

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

or maybe my BPS Trap!

ec90t

5. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I brought this issue up last week. I own both the 870 trap and just bought an 1100 trap. I too was surprised at how little a difference being an automatic made. In fact I think I shot worse with the 1100 because the feel of the gas piston working didn't feel as solid on my shoulder as the 870. For me the 870 is a better shooting gun, though both are too long for me and will need stock work. I believe those that badmouth the 870's recoil speak from old field gun experience rather than shooting trap loads through the R3 equipped trap classic. There really is no recoil to speak of. I think it is more of what you want to do with it. If I were going to be shooting a lot of doubles, the pump might slow me down or distract me.

6. Charles L. Schmidt

"There really is no recoil to speak of"

COME ON...

I owned and shot an 870 Classic for a year, registered over 10,000 targets with it. Throwing 1-1/8 oz. of lead 1180 fps. It fit very well and kicked excessively. But I didn't fully realize it until I bought the 1100 Classic to shoot Doubles with.

Reb if your remark is an honest one, you are a very lucky man. Because I believe the majority of Trapshooter consider the 870 a kicker. cls

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

if you can tolerate an auto for doubles...go for it...just keep it clean and get a deflector.....or find an 870 Comp....points great..smokes targets!!..and buy an O/U for doubles.

8. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I had both the 870 and an 1100. Both were fieldgrades. Yes, the 870 kicked but not as bad as the Winny 101. If you load your own then look for the lightest load you can find to load. The 870 shoots really great. Just as good if not better than the 1100. The same with the 1100. The same load you shoot through the 870 for 16's can be used in the 1100 and recoil would be very minimal. Yes, if you shoot the 1100 for the first time and you have been shooting a pump action such as the 870 the recoil has a different feel to it. The same goes for the bolt action big bore Rifle compaired to the Auto big bore. They to have a different feel to em. But as you shoot it, kind of goes away if you are wrapped up into the shoot. Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

9. Charles L. Schmidt

"They to have a different feel to em"

Absolutely, one has less felt recoil too. cls

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I about gave away an 870 to my nephew who was 14 at the time. He was a big kid who played football in school but I sure felt bad at the time when I saw the big red bruise on his cheekbone from that gun even with 1 oz loads. My daughters were able to shoot a BT-99 with those same loads and without the visible marks on their cheekbone. I would get the 1100.

11. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

Thanks folks,
    I am looking at the two for singles and handicaps. I know the 870 has the built in hull catcher :) I can not afford both...........that would be the easy way out.
    Neil

12. Charles L. Schmidt

They’re both great guns and have broken millions of targets. With a decent recoil absorber and some weight in the magazine tube, with not so heavy loads the 870 is fine. Or apparently for some right out of the box. Just be aware of the cumulative effects of recoil. Shoot a light shooting gun fifty thousand times and you could develop a flinch. Shoot an 870 that much and you'll develop a friggen hunchback.

=)

One of my favorite stories is about Rudy Etchen breaking the first 100 straight in Doubles at the Grand, with an 870. Then he did it again 30 years later with the same 870.

cls

13. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Yeah, I know I got a jewel of an 870 right out of the box. The 1100 has been more of a lemon right out of the box, but I really am being honest about the 870 not having felt recoil. I do work out with 45lb dumbbells and am 33. Maybe I'm just young enough and prepared enough for it, or think it is just light compared to blackpowder loads through cowboy shotguns.

14. Charles L. Schmidt

Understood... Just don't let it catch up to you, you won't always be 33. And it of course all depends on how much you shoot. cls

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I shot an 870 for trap (and at one time tactical). Liked the gun, didn't like the recoil. I felt beat up after three boxes of 12ga trap loads.<br>
    <br>
    I bought an 1187 and it made a world of difference. I can shoot it all day. Literally.<br>
    <br>
    As far as pointing difference, I found none. The 870 is slightly lighter, depending on which barrel is used.<br>
    <br>
    I now have three 1187's in 12ga, an 1187 20ga, my son has an 1187 12ga and an 1100 LT-20, and my daughter has an 1187 20ga.<br>
    <br>

16. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

Remember, Rudy Etchen used 2 recoil reducers(Staub)in his 870 but he used Rem shells both light and heavy. He was the "Man" as far as I'm concerned and I loved watching him shoot and fun to talk to also. I was in awe so I just kind of mumbled yea when he said something. "Mr. 870" and a legend.
    ftlupton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 classic trap vs 870 classic trap

870 trap vs 1100 trap

better for ttap 870 vs 1100

remington 1100 american classic vs 1100 classic trap

remington 1100 cls

remington 870 classic trap

remington 870 classic trap vs 1100 classic trap

remington 870 vs 1100 trap