1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 barrels not created the same?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I've got two 870 Wingmasters; both 12g, full choke. One is a field gun with a 28" non-ribbed barrel from 1975 and the other one is a TC with a 30" ribbed barrel from 1951. I don't know if either barrel is original.

The issue is the field gun barrel will take a reloaded shell easily (I've tried two different brand of hulls), but the TC barrel is real tight and you have to pressure the shell into the barrel due to it's tightness.

Once the shells are in, they eject the shells normally.

Both accept factory loads smoothly, so it appears to be that the "brass" is flared just a bit on the reloads.

I'm guessing the barrels were just machined with different tolerances. Is there a tool to compress the brass on reloaded hulls?

Blueraven

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

most reloaders have a resize station that should take care of that, if yours does not I think Mec sells one for that.. Ross

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You definitly need to resize your shells.

ss

4. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I have a MEC 600 Jr, I'm guessing though it resizes the hull, but I don't see where it would resize the brass.

Blueraven

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would resize on station 1 when it removes the primer. That is if it has the resizing tube. HMB

6. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I guess there's a reason why the MEC 600 comes with a manual.
    I did find in the manual where it shows the brass resizing adjustment.

Made the adjustment and what do you know, the shell fits into the TC smoothly.

Thanks all for the guidance.

Blueraven

7. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I had the same problem with my 870 when I changed barrels and started reloading and it was a sizing problem. Got a supersizer and sizing guage from Mec, problem solved.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

To me, one of the best features of the MEC Sizemaster, Grabber and 9000 series is that they have an "industrial strength" resizer. If I am not mistaken, the MEC standalone resizer is the same collet type resizer as is found on the MEC Sizemaster, Grabber and 9000 series.

This resizer was first introduced about 1977 on the single stage MEC Sizemaster for which it was named.

Ed Ward

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Mec has two types of resizers. One is the collet resizer and the other is a metal tube with scew on resizing dies. HMB

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Richard- Do you actually measure how much larger you make the chamber or do you just ream it a little and let it go? Does the chamber come out straight or is it a little larger at the mouth?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.