1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ross, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

That depends on how old or new. newer ones have the extractor slightly higher & smaller, also if memory serves me correctly later bbls. have smaller extractor.. if you put a newer bbl. on an older action close it slowly & watch the extractor if it has to jump up a little & does not go into the extractor cut (notch) easily (or not at all) you will have to modify (enlarge) the cut just a little but proceed with CAUTION as you don't want to take out too much.. same thing in reverse..Ross P.

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The Wingmaster that have the shinny blue yes. If its and Express NO. The Express will only go on the Express and not the Wingmaster. The Wingmaster will go on the Wingmaster but will not go on the Express.

3. uplate

uplate TS Member

Sorry Auctioneer. I own several 870's and have a barrel from a wingmaster on
    an express action right now. Works just fine. The special field barrels will not fit on a standard 870 due to the different location of the retention ring.

4. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I have an 870 20 ga. skeet gun that was manufactured in the very early 50s. It has the old 2 piece barrel on it with a Cutts (factory).

I also have a later 870 20 ga, skeet gun and so one day, I thought I would switch barrels for some disremembered reason, and was surprised to find that the newer gun would not close the bolt on the older barrel (from the early 50s)

So, I put them on the bench for a comparison and found that the older barrel was a little thicker on the left side of the barrel extension than the newer barrels are.

Then I pulled the bolts out of both guns and sure enough, the newer bolt was wider than the older one.

At some point Remington made a change and the result is that the newer barrels will work on the very early guns, but not the other way around.

Now that is all I can tell you about that....these guns are both 20s and I don't know what the story is about the other gauges.

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Up until the early 70's the std. weight 20 gauge 870 was built on the 12 gauge frame. Those barrel will not fit any of the newer 870 20's. Remington quit makeing the std weight barrels in 1978.

The difference is in the barrel/magizine tube mount, its larger.

The only difference in the 12 Wingmaster and Express is its finishes and wood. The Express was interduced as a more afordable shotgun over the Wingmaster

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

12 gauge Wingmasters and Express barrels interchange with no problem. Special fields will not interchange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.