1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

870 barrel question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomaso, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomaso

tomaso Member

i came across an early 870 in 16guage. it had a matted barrel. i had not seen that before. i have seen plain and vent rib. was this a factory option or aftermarket? thanks... tmc

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have only seen one and that was on a .12 guage. I don't know what the reason was unless it was just an in between thing between the plain barrels and the ribbed barrels.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click on the link, and scroll down to the 1955 price list. They came in plain, matte top, and vent rib. Wayne

4. tomaso

tomaso Member

wayneo thanks for the link. i was all over that site and did not see it. now i may have to buy the thing. if only they had made solid ribs! tmc

5. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Some of the earlier 870's also had a serial # on the barrel and receiver. I don't really think any 870 field guns have a huge collector value, but nice, clean, early guns are hard to come by and pretty cool.

6. tomaso

tomaso Member

pat, that would be cool, and very confusing to a later collector. all the more reason. tmc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.