1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

81/2 shot question ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My normal singles shot load is 1 oz of # 81/2 @ 1185, I also use this for my second shot on doubles. ( in which I stink). On a windy day I like to use a load @ 1235 for caps ( under 22 yds). Is 8 1/2 too light for that speed or should I go to #8?

phil Berkowitz

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

8 1/2 is too light for the second shot unless you are very fast. I have always preferred 8's for the first shot and 7 1/2's for the second.

Jim Skeel

3. shoehorn324

shoehorn324 TS Member

at your yardage why don't you just shoot light 8s for everything.......

all you are getting from the 8.5s is something mental--if you miss
    with the 8s you will also miss with the 8.5s--keep it simple and
    you will average higher--Guaranteed !

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Keep it simple. Use light 7 1/2's for everything. That way you are not sacrificing anything regardless of weather or type of targets thrown. Also you don't have to be changing your laoder all the time.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would feel more comfortable with 8's at 22 yards in the wind, or even 7 1/2's in colder weather. That said, there should be no real reason why 8 1/2's could not work at 22 yards. I've used a lot of 8 1/2's and it does well enough from the 16 to the 22. I don't see much difference when shooting 1 oz of 8's or 8 1/2's. I use 7/8 oz of 8 1/2's or 9's for 16s and the 1st shot of doubles. With the doubles, I usually get the first bird, so it works well enough and gives me less recoil when trying to recover and get the second bird.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

635G,

Like Shootlow, I'd also suggest going to at least #8's for caps....I just wouldn't have the confidence in 8 1/2's at handicap.

As an aside, I've used 8 1/2's for both shots in doubles without issues, but, I think 8's would be better for 2nd shot....

8 1/2's in singles is the Terminator Vaporizer!!

"Have confidence in your success, not, fear of your failure"
    anonymous trapshooting coach...

7. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

I used to shoot 8 1/2's that were moving at about 1050 fps for singles and both shots in doubles. I have won multiple state championships with them, so take it from me, they work. I also have used a heavier 8 1/2 at the 27. They will break them from anywhere.

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Anyone ever try 1 oz of 7 1/2's?

9. BigM-Perazzi

There was a guy shooting 1 oz of 7 1/2's at Birmingham, Mi a couple weeks ago. was crushing the singles.... dropped a few in the wind, but, he was impressed. Maybe Tron knows who he was....

10. BigM-Perazzi

Well, regardless, I'm still going to agree with your first answer... at least 8's for anything beyond 21.....

JC

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Be a man...shoot 1-1/4 oz. of 7-1/2's for everything!!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.