1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

800X Powder Isn't All That Bad

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by oleolliedawg, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I recently purchased some 12lb. cans of 800X for a ridiculous price. Real slow burning stuff that doesn't meter precisely as the flakes are very large. My Spolar with the vibrator seems to keep 95% of the charges within plus or minus .2 grain variation. 20.7 grs in a Remington hull with a Fed. 209, 1 1/8 oz. shot and a Rem. TGT wad has surprisingly mild felt recoil. Nice tight crimps seem to help with the burning leaving just a few flakes in the bore. I recently even managed to clear off a nearby pavillion of spectators as the report is rather loud.

I guess what I'm saying is please don't throw away that old 800X you tried and didn't like. It's much better than you think!!

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Can't get it to flow in my mec at all

3. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

It won't go through the P/W 900 or 2000 accurately. Too many bloopers! Michael and Jane

4. oleolliedawg

Supershot, sounds like an interesting system especially with the small diameter bushings needed for 28 GA loads!!

5. oleolliedawg

At $5 per Lb. I found adding ear-muffs over my plugs was a small price to pay for this bargain. Removing un-burned particles from the breech face on my K-80 between shots improves my concentration somewhat!!

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

waaaay back when I was still to reloading (early '90's), I found that 800X burned very dirty. The inside of my bbl's looked like I'd been burning coal in 'em.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It works great in some pistol loads as well.

8. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

You are right "it's not all that bad" -- it's AWFUL -- I purchased a 12 pounder for 20 ga. skeet loads -- could not get it to drop out of a 9000 MEC with any sort of consistency -- tried to use it up making 12ga. loads -- not much better -- I was never so glad as when I saw the bottom of the can -- used lots of 700X with no problems -- I would think when they developed 800X and made it the size of cornflakes there would be problems with getting it to drop -- first and last time with that stuff

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would be interested in any 800 x that is for sale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.