1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

800X for handicap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rufus80, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Does anyone use 800X for handicap loads? I have some in stock and thought about using it. I like the low pressure aspect. Any positive or negatives to it besides price.

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Its exetremly good powder but its dirty and loud. Its best used for 1 1/4 or bigger. I usw a ton of it for game shoots and long range shoot offs. Byg

3. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

No one else uses this powder?

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

It is primarily used in high base 1 and 1/4 oz loads.Go to IMR or ALLIANT's website and check for load data.Loading it 1 and 1/8 oz loads leaves alot of unburned powder in the barrel.I would'nt use it in an autoloader.PJ

5. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I have been to alliant's web site and found some promising loads. It will be used in a citori XT and a 870 TB. Just looking for first hand experience. If not 800X then what is the best powder for handicap that gives low pressure with 1-1/8 ounce shot.

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

How about the old stand by Green Dot, or American Select, for handicap loads?? I like them both, however, the Green Dot may leave the barrel a bit more dirty than the American Select.

7. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Rufus; I and others on this site use a wide variety of powders and it is best done on a trial basis.Everyone will have various opinions on which is best,I like 19.5 grs of green dot or WST in a 1 oz load for my hdcp.E3 and PB cost alot more but have very low pressures and work well with 1&1/8 oz loads.I have tried 800x but it is for very hot loads in "games". I have 7 lbs of it just sitting in the closet collecting dust.

8. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I use 800 x for both my 1 1/8 oz. and 1 1/4 oz. loads. Green dot is good but at 1250 fps you are pushing it's limitations. Poacherjoe, if you have 7 lbs in the closet collecting dust is it for sale? Thanks, Tim

9. Jamotom

Jamotom Member

Before steel was mandated i used it for waterfowl loads. I have tried it for caps...it's loud, dirty & at that time inefficient compared to other choices.

Are you looking to use it for a protector load?

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I had 12 pounds of 800X given to me and am now loading 20 grains of it in Remington hulls with AA wad behind 1 1/8 ounce # 71/2's for my handicap load. It seems to work well and drops fairly consistent in my old 650 Mec loader too. I will use it all up unless something happens that has not yet surfaced. so far so good.

11. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Just going to use it for caps, maybe a little on the sporting clays course.

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I used it years ago and found it to be very primer sensitive in cold weather. With Remington primers I never new when or if it was going to fire. Gave the guys at the club quite a laugh with flintlock time firings. I finished it off in the summer and never bothered with it again. BTW, it was fine in the summer but as others have stated very loud and dirty. JRM

13. wm rike

wm rike Member

Dirty, poor metering, and loud. There are better ways to get big things moving fast.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Great powder for .44 mag and 10mm handgun cartridges. Don't like it for shot-shells. For games I prefer WSF, 7625, or Longshot.

Wayne

15. tuff100

tuff100 TS Member

Switched to 800X from greendot, love the fact of less recoil. Meters just fine for my MEC 9000 but it is a little dirtier. Far as noise I have been told by others that it does bark a lttle but for me it smokes targets but dos'nt bite.Worth it!

16. vdt

vdt Active Member

17. SuperMotard

SuperMotard Member

im still wondering where on alliant's site the guy found loading data for 800x...... just can't find that page..

18. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Sorry, it was hogdon's.

19. Steve Bills

Steve Bills Member

Been using 800x for my hydicap load. for 5 yrs. Less recoil & less chamber PSI.. using 22.5 grs. 1 1/8 oz w/ Figure 8 Rem. wad. CCI-209 primers,in Nitro 27& STS rem. hulls w/ good results. 22.2 grs powder,Win.AA12 wads,CCI-209 primers in Win.aa red or black hulls. Agin,no problems & good patter results. Hope this info.is of some help to you...Steve

20. Steve Bills

Steve Bills Member

Rufus80....On the internet go to Hogdons Powder Company site & look under their IMR powder listing for 800x powder loading loads listings....Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best handicap load with 800x

handicap trap 800x