1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

800x for 28 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just started reloading for the first time a month or so ago. He shoots in our company skeet league, and uses a 28 gauge.

He got a 4 lb canister of 800x from another reloader who doesn't use it any more.

He's using all Winchester components. Primers, hulls, and wads.

He is using a 3/4 ounce shot bushing.

He told me how much powder he's using, and its OK according to the data tables. I can't remember exactly how much, but the published muzzle velocity would have been around 1200 fps.

He's using a MEC 9000G reloader

He's getting a lot of soft-sounding bloopers.

But I don't know if that is becuase he's new to reloading and doing something wrong, or if 800x is just not a good choice for 28 gauge.

Bottom line question...is 800x a good choice for 28 gauge?

Personally, I use Universal Clays.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

800X is a great powder for the 28. With Win. components at 1200fps. he should be dropping 13 grains. Have him weigh some random powder drops. Wayne

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Does he have a scale or is he merely using a bushing chart?

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Because of its unique shape, 800X does not meter well volumentric-wise (e.g. using bushings). I had to resort to weighing each load- very cumbersome.
    Gave up on 800x for the 28gauge, and now using Green Dot. Chichay

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Large flakes often do not meter well in small bushings. 800-X could be fine in the 28GA if the powder drops were consistent. Likely the problem is light powder charges. As stated above, use a scale then switch powders!!

6. sixten38

sixten38 Member

I have had similar experience with 800X, light loads bloops etc. Using Spolar got correct drops or so it seemed. I am convinced it does not meter well, I now use Univeral or Unique for 28 ga but am going to try green dot in the near future. No worries with the 800x as it is an excellent pistol powder have used it all up for 40SW and 45ACP.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

wireguy, he said he had a scale and was checking powder drops.

I'll share these commments with him.

Thanks

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If his weights are accurate then he may need a littkle more wad pressure and to open up his shot bushing to throw a full 3/4 of an OZ. If he is loading good shot the shot charge is often light. Usally an 1 1/8 OZ bushing will throw an 1 1/16 OZ charge. Not a whole bunch in an 1 1/8 OZ load but when you are borderline to begin with it might make a diffrence. The only way you can be sure with 800x is to just about weigh every charge. It makes great powder for steel shot loads for hunting but for the 28ga there is no reason to put yourself through all the BS. Just shoot Unique or Universal clays. Jeff

9. Wingshotgod

Wingshotgod Member

IMHO I would changing wads and/or checking wad presure, also stick with STS or AA hulls. I've been using 800X for 28 gauge for years, but thru a 600 JR. Only problem was loading Estate hulls.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I talked to him today.

This weekend he loaded 50 shells on his 9000G.

He said he weighed each and every powder load.

Of the 50, most were 13.5 grains, plus 0.3 grains to minus 0.1 grains.

HOWEVER, probably 6 or 7 powder charges weighed 9 grains or less.

He has a baffle in his powder hopper. He's going to try taking that out, making some shells, and weighing each charge again.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It seems like somebody just isn't getting it. Jeff

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

?

Not sure I follow, Jeff?

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Timb, If I'm reading him correctly, I believe he is trying to tell you that you will not be able to get good drops with that powder in a progressive type reloader. That powder should work fine in a single stage machine. Do take that powder baffle off and give it a try again. What do you have to lose. Something like 4 shooters have already said it will not drop well for them. Hope you have better luck and Break-em all. Jeff

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

After giving up on 800...but looking at a whole keg of it.. I found out that using a RCBS adjustable powder measure.. and loading on a Pacific 155.. It worked great.. but never could get it to drop thru a small bushing hole.. The RCBS powder measure has a wide hole.. that gets longer and shorter..so it's easily filled.. I use the same on some pistol cases.. and it does fine..just NOT thru a tiny holed bushing..

For a progressive reloader HS-6 worked excellent in 28 gauge..as does Longshot..

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Got it.

Yeah, I've already suggested to him that if he can't get consistent drops on this second test, he should consider other powders such as Universal, Longshot, Unique, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 gauge 800x

28 gauge reloading recipes

800x powder for 28 gauge
800x vs unique
800x vs unique for metering
green powder for 28 guage reloads
imr 800-x 28 ga
reloading 28 gauge 800x