1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

800PLUS w/ AutoMate II

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FELLOW RELOADERS ,

I have a PW 800Plus with the AutoMate II . Lately I'm haveing a problem where the press seems to sort of jump when it is going in the upstroke . I mean it isn't to the point where you spill shot , but it isn't a smooth movement . Comming down is no problem . I took off the motor cowling ( cover ) and looked down at the motor shaft itself with a flashlight and it " APPEARS " to be moving a little more than the coupling . Almost like it is slipping .

Has anyone had any issues like this ? If so what was your fix ?

Thank you all in advance for your time and help .

A happy and safe Independence Day to all _ go ahead and shoot some fireworks but be careful .

BILL

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

hit.......I just had a similar problem. Mine was the shells were sticking in a couple of the sizing dies. They would jump like you discribed when the nockout shaft would nock out the shell. I used a chamber brush to clean them out and then coated the inside with 3 in 1 oil. Worked like a charm.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

likes-to-shoot sounds right on. Plus if it continues long enough you may develop some looseness in the coupling you need to address. Is this with steel based hulls? Are you using a oiled mop or wire brush in the die cleaning station? With brass head hulls you can get away with a bronze brush with steel change over to a lightly oiled mop. How long has it been since you lubed the spring and shaft on the knock out station?

--- Chip King ---

4. soup

soup Member

FELLOWS ,

It does this with NO shells in the press . Yes I do have a brand new brush in the clean out station .

HIT

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

F.Y.I. The brush in the clean out station needs to be a chamber brush not a bore brush in order to do an effective job of cleaning out plastic from the shell holders.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Drain the shot and powder and clean out EVERYTHING in the reservoir area.

I have to think there is sold in/around the shot gear and possibly under the gear and under the shut-off plate. Also inspect the underside of the EZ-Fill base too.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Drain the shot and powder and clean out EVERYTHING in the reservoir area.

I have to think there is sold in/around the shot gear and possibly under the gear and under the shut-off plate. Also inspect the underside of the EZ-Fill base too.

Also, set up about 10 hulls and spray the brass with WD40, then stick them right into the reloader to reload. I'd bet that will smoothe things a bit too.

If you are reloading Kemens, Rios, Gun Clubs and any steel based hull, you are going to get some resistance due to the steel bases.

12 gauge dies run about 0.803-0.805" ID, so you could have some on the narrow side too.

Whiz

8. soup

soup Member

I do have a chamber brush in the cleanout station . Before I posted this I did just that & cleaned everything pretty good . I unbolted the press & slid it over from the motor housing -removed the small adapter for the AutoMate & inserted the PW handle. It has no stiffness or jumping in the press itself . Functions rather smoothly compared to my 2 old TEXAN MK IV presses .

Does anyone know what holds the coupling to the motor shaft ??

Thank you ,

BILL

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Bill IIRC the coupling was held with a Key / Keyway and 2 set screws 1 over the key and another at 90 degrees to that. I don't remember if the set screws had locking screws or not. You may be able to check for slop in that coupling to shaft by hand once the press is off. I had an issue with my original AutoMate II where it would occasionally lose it's mind in mid stroke and do a up/down/up/down jig to the point that the whole thing P/W 900 and all would dance on my loading bench and that was an electronics issue.

--- Chip King ---

10. soup

soup Member

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Mine was doing the same thing and all I had to do was lube the resize station.

JON

12. soup

soup Member

TTT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.