1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

800 plus primer issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by volksbugusa, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volksbugusa

volksbugusa TS Member

happy holidays

so i set up my new 800 plus. i seem to have an issue with the primer system.
    the primers seem to be getting caught right at the brass edge coming off the race track.
    sometimes the primer arm is not going foward enough to drop the primer into the set hole.
    then there are times that the primer arm is going to far forward.
    the manual seems not to be able to resolve issue.
    not sure how to correct the problem.but i can tell you that it is a pain in the a--.maybe i am not cycling properly.

thanks matt

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Pretty much a given to have to do a bit of tweeking on the primer feed. Not all primers feed the same either. On my presses I find the Win. 209's and Cheddite 209's to feed best.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

About the only thing I have had to do with mine is tap the tray every now and again. I need to find out where to by one of those vibrating motors. I think that will cure my having to tap issue.

4. volksbugusa

volksbugusa TS Member

Thank you all for the pointer's
    There is no adjustment left on the bottom of the race track where it is connected to the brass primer that I can see. I want to polish out the brass lip that seems to be catching the primer’s edge but want to discuss with Bruce at p/w first. I don’t want to be told that I voided the warranty issue. The primers do drop filling up the race track with no issues at all.
    Today when my wife is not looking I am going to try Spanky's suggestion and try a different primer.

Happy Holiday's

5. TjayE

TjayE Member

Matt,

Call Whiz White and I am sure he will give you the correct information that you need to fix your primer feed. Whiz is "Number One" on the P/W reloader.

Shop phone number: 605-341-4412

Merry Christmas to all.

Tom

6. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

i use Fiocchi in mine ( just got it 4 weeks ago) without any issue except I keep running out of them. There down to $19.00 a 1000 here in Ohio. My other budy has had a 800+ for a while add he uses Fiocchi's also.

7. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I had a similer problem. It turned out the feed sleeve was cocked a bit and not letting primers feed into the ram cup. Check that the sleeve is not intruding on the ram

8. volksbugusa

volksbugusa TS Member

ks5special:

it's funny that you happen to mention Fiocchi 616 (.209 type) primers. I had two sleeves so I removed the federal primers to give the Fiocchi's a try based on spank's suggestion. The Fiocchi primer does work perfect. It does not hang up at all and feeds perfect.The down side is once you use a fiocchi primer you can never go back to a basic primer.The hull new belongs to a fiocchi primer for life.The fiocchi is a little wider in diameter.There has to be a reason why this is happening.I have spent hours trying to get things to work.

So yes now I have to order primers...

Matt

9. volksbugusa

volksbugusa TS Member

ks5special:

it's funny that you happen to mention Fiocchi 616 (.209 type) primers. I had two sleeves so I removed the federal primers to give the Fiocchi's a try based on spank's suggestion. The Fiocchi primer does work perfect. It does not hang up at all and feeds perfect.The down side is once you use a fiocchi primer you can never go back to a basic primer.The hull new belongs to a fiocchi primer for life.The fiocchi is a little wider in diameter.There has to be a reason why this is happening.I have spent hours trying to get things to work.

So yes now I have to order primers...

Matt

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The ram travel is controlled by the by the nylon wheel attached to the ram and the triangular plate attached to the front of the traveling crosshead. Watch the wheel and the plat as the crosshead moves up and down.

The groove in the wheel should stay in contact with the plate at all times EXCEPT when the crosshead is nearing the top of its travel. Then the ram will overtravel just a bit and stop when it reaches the end of the channel in the brass body.

If the ram doesn't travel far enough it is either hanging up and stopping during its travel or the plate is not adjusted properly (or bent) and the edge of the plate is riding up on either the inner or outer rim of the nylon wheel causing the ram to stop too soon.

MK

11. skeezix

skeezix Member

Matt, You might want to get your calipers out and check the Fio primers. They don't have as much taper as win/rem primers - but as far as diameters go they're pretty close.

I found that I had occasional hang ups where the ram caught on the next primer in the feed chute. I took out the ram and filed a slight chamfer on the vertical edge of the ram so that it can't hang up. It helped quite a bit.

john

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

VWbugusa, I just loaded up a flat of shells. The first 4 boxes were with Fiocchi 616's and the last 6 were with Federal 209A's and neither was a problem. You must have an alignment problem where the race track as you call it enters the slot in the primer feed housing. It must be perfectly horizontal and level for about 2 inches out from the housing. It may require a litle bending. JRM

13. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"It must be perfectly horizontal and level for about 2 inches out from the housing."</i></blockquote>Level and horizontal aren't necessary; a slight down angle won't hurt a thing, BUT the chute must be centered in the cut-out in the brass body. The end of the chute isn't able to sit below the brass body unless the brass is not machined properly; the end of the chute sits on top of the brass so the floor of the chute is higher than the brass.

The primers will stop self-feeding when there about 20 left in the chute unless you find a way to push them along. I use a 3" piece of 1/8" brass rod with a fish mouth ground in each end that I stand up in the chute against the side of the last primer to push the last 20 into the ram.

Check the end of the chute to make sure it isn't bent or flared. If it's properly shaped it will fit snugly in the brass body, and it won't move when the cap screw is tightened. If it moves or twists or bends, bend the mounting tab a tiny bit until you can tighten the cap screw and cause only the slightest movement on the chute.

These machines aren't that complicated. Thousands of them work flawlessly every day. You have an adjustment or assembly problem; take your time and be sure the assembly is correct and the problem should be resolved. Call Tanya at the factory if you need to and ask her to walk you through the chute/tray installation and adjustment.

MK

14. setool

setool Member

Do yourself a favor, and talk to Mr. Whiz... I will guarentee you if he can't help you, no one can !!! He knows more about these machines than the factory,
    NO B.S.

(605) 341-2212

Mark S.

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The "L" black cam is not pushing the ram's roller wheel back enough to pick up a new primer.

Losen the two 1/8" set screws holding the cam in place, remove top set screw, and put a small flat washer behind the cam and the crossehead, reinsert the Allenhead screw and tighten BOTH.

It's OK if the ram comes back further than it needs to to pick up a new primer. Then check it to make sure the ram slides far enough forward to drop the primer into the seating hole. They above should not affect the proper release of the new primer onto the seating post.

Whiz

16. volksbugusa

volksbugusa TS Member

whiz

i made some adjustments on the L black cam. The cam was not meeting with the roller groove.The adjustment that I made was to loosen both set screws and adjust the L a little to the left. I did notice that the bottom set screw did have a washer installed from the factory. Anyway the primer system seems to be working now...stay tuned...Matt

thank you

17. volksbugusa

volksbugusa TS Member

looking good steve...i noticed the your L black cam has no washers behind the plate and set screws. Did you remove them or they where not present to begin with.I have to tell you that once the primers started to feed the 800 is very nice. I have to give things a chance and learn how to deal with the issues.
    In the mean time I am going to discuss with bruce at p/w some other shipping damage if they are not on holiday.
    Matt

18. Unknown1

The primer ram in the new primer assembly doesn't need lubrication because the brass body is self lubricating, but I've been using Dupont's Multi-Use Spray Lube with Telfon (from Lowe's) on the steel-to-steel areas of the primer assembly and a few other spots on parts that I've had to replace because unusual and uneven wear. Once it's dry it forms a dry lubricating wax that doesn't attract or hold anything (unlike oil and grease) but lubes quite well. I also use it on the shaft of the final knock-out, on the inside of the shell seating post assembly and on the bushing gear rack.

Steve, I have 6 900s (4 is use) and the cam plate is set differently on each of them even though they all use the new adjustable primer assembly. I don't know what accounts for the inconsistency. I have one that needs a solid strip of 12 ga. steel (.105" thick} behind it to position it properly. Glad you found the problem.

MK

19. wm rike

wm rike Member

Not all primer rams are created equal. I've had some that want to drag across the top of the primer as it retracts, thereby cocking the primer and causing a malfunction. After trying all the other adjustment type solutions, I have variously bent the little finger at the end or milled a smidge of clearance and the problem went away. This is all with Winchester primers, and I've wondered if other brands might be a couple thou shorter so as to not have this problem in the first place. From the previous posts, it sounds like Fiochi just might be that little bit shorter.

20. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

volks, glad you're lookin' good with the press. I'm a mechanic, so to work on things is was it is everyday. I'm not all surprized with your tweeking. You don't need to be a maintenance machinist to solve alot of these issues. A decent Dremel set-up, good bit selection, polishing rouge and common sense goes a long way. Keep things clean and dry, try quality dry lubes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.