1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

Published May 26, 2010
    | FOXNews.com

An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city's West Side.

At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

"It's a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead," said Curtis Thompson, who lives next door to the couple, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Neighbors described the elderly couple, who both walk with canes, as pillars of the community in Garfield Park, where home invasions have been all too frequent.

Their neighbor, Shaquite Johnson, told MyFoxChicago that the two are "heroes" for fighting off the attacker — and that the shooting means there is "one less criminal" walking the streets.
    "They don't bother no one, so why would anyone do that to them?" she said.

Relatives of the couple told the Sun Times that the man is an Army veteran, his wife a former nurse. Police said neither the man nor the woman was injured in the attack.

The assailant, who was described by police as being in his 30s, was found slumped on the back doorstep of the couple's house, removed four hours after the shooting, the Sun Times reported.

No charges have been filed against the homeowner, but Chicago currently has a statute outlawing the possession of handguns. Its legality is currently being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

A high-profile Chicago attorney has already stepped forward offering to represent the man pro bono if he faces charges for possessing a weapon.

"Self-defense isn't just a right, it's a duty," said attorney Joel Brodsky. "If this man is prosecuted for saving his own life it's not just a travesty, it's justice turned inside out."

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

If Daley has his way, they'll make this man an example, no matter how old he is. They may not charge him for the killing but might charge him for unlawful possession of a firearm.

If the intruder had been successful and killed all 4 inhabitants, Daley'd be the first to be on TV decrying the brutality of allowing guns for anyone. But, let the homeowner defend his family successfully, and not a peeeeeeep out of the Mayor's office today - or any of the other well known local anti-gunners - Jesse Jackson, Father Pleuger (sp?), etc.

If they dare to bring any charge against this man, my wife and I will be organizing a protest against the Mayor and his phoniness.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The man who was protecting his family will probably be charged with UUW (unlawful use of a weapon), discharging a weapon inside city limits, and just about any other rediculous charge they can dream up to use him as a Poster Child for Daley and his anti gun agenda's ... The guy did the right thing, one less criminal to give room and board to and tie up the criminal courts system with ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I would like to shake this man's hand.

I think the outcry would be so loud if he were prosecuted that the mayor is hiding under his desk till this story blows over of how an eighty year old man protected his wife and self with a gun.

Arnie

5. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I agree with Arnie, if they tried to prosecute this man, there would be such an outcry from the rest of the honest man with a family to protect.

John MI

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

He should have killed the son of a bitch twice.

HM

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Too bad there weren`t 2 intruders and his wife could have taken out the second one . WE could have given them both a Metal . Justice has been served for now . I know of a couple who lost their 16 year old son many years ago by an armed intruder as they came home from a movie and the son went around to the back door where the intruder was exiting their home . He was never caught . The fellow was never right since then .

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its pretty obvious that most people don't know how the game is played in Chicago ... The way Illinois laws are written they do not protect the innocent, and actually extend more rights to the person who ends up injured or dead what ever the case may be ... I agree that the guy should be given a medal but it won't happen and he will be treated like a crook or offender until its all over ... Illinois laws suck plain and simple, and the laws in the city of Chicago are even more rediculous ... The fact that he is 80 years of age can't hurt him any ... WPT ... (YAC) .. (Former Chicago and Illinois resident) ...

9. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

I heard on local radio this morning that no charges will be made against the 80 year old. It will be interesting to see if the local press will pursue mayor Daley about not prosecuting the guy. Daley told a reporter recently he'd like to shove a rifle up his butt and fire a round to prove its effectiveness. Now I hear that Daley refused comment on this incident.

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Of course Daley won't comment. He's a baggy eyed sack of pig shit and a coward to boot. Too bad he doesn't read TS.com. The reporter should file charges against him for threatening to shoot him. I believe they call that a "terroristic threat". Put Daley in jail with all the rest of the folks wearing Obama shirts.

11. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

NRA will hopefully assist him with court & legal fees for the legal travesty that might unfold. NRA members should be ready to contribute if asked by NRA and my checkbook is ready. My guess is that Chicago will push forward with a case against him, not so much to hammer the 80-year old hero, but to 'drain' the NRA coffer that will help him. Let's be ready to pitch in.

12. dolphin62

dolphin62 Active Member

i want his adress so i can send them some candy

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Only one news station aired this???? How one sided has our media become? Soon enough the Mayor and his band of morons will be dealt a defeat when the Supreme Court over rules the hand gun laws in the city, where only bad guys and politicans can carry guns

14. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

One clarification to today's reports. The media here in Chicagoland are reporting ONLY that it APPEARS no charges for the killing will be filed. When asked today by reporters if charges would be filed for possession of a firearm etc., NEITHER THE MAYOR OR THE POLICE CHIEF WOULD EVEN ANSWER THE QUESTION. THEY BOTH IGNORED IT. Daley did mutter something about not wanting Chicago to turn into the Wild West and then went on to the next reporter.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

15. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Funny thing is that with 30-some States having CCW laws now, Wild Wild West has not materialized. In fact, FBI reports violent crime numbers dropping. It almost looks like States & cities with the most repressive gun laws have the most violent crime???

16. rd

rd TS Member

Slic- come on! You REALLY have no idea how the Chicago political machine works? He keeps getting elected for life the same way his father did- through corruption and voter fraud! People are still voting in Chicago that died 50 years ago!

17. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Shoot the SOB no matter what the Chicago law says

18. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Two things:

1. As usual, the dearly departed was a convicted felon and had a long criminal record consisting mainly of drug and weapons charges. Mayor Daley did not offer to indicate exactly which retail store sold the gun to the perp, or provide a copy of the approved federal NICS check form that was provided by the ATF.

2. Daley, in a press conference today, would only reply to questions about this incident by launching into his usual "...it's the widespread availability of guns that is responsible for this." He dodged direct questions on the subject, as usual.

Just once I'd like a reporter to pipe up and ask "Why won't you answer the direct question I asked you instead of giving a speech?"

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

bobdog,
    Thats the way the Political Machine that was created by the Elder Daily works, they feel they don't have to answer anything ... Chicago Style Politics at its finest and its been like that forever or at least as long as I can remember ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

maddog, just to update you no one can vote more than three times in any election and the longest you can be deceased is 33 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.