1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

80 percent rule?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dbls_champ, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

Well I tried to make a deal the other day with a well noted gun dealer. I told him I was interested in one of his guns and I wanted to trade mine in on it. I told him what I wanted to get out of it and he quoted me a price almost $2,000 less that what the gun is worth. He told me that they usually consider what the gun is worth and then offer 80% of that value. So I asked him that if he made 20% on every used gun then what did he make on new ones. He said "The same". So that means if I trade in my gun on the other used gun he makes a 40% profit on me, something isn't right about that. Are trap gun dealers glorified used car saleman now. I know they have to make money, but anything above 10% is excessive especially with the high end guns.

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

If he makes 20% on the new gun, and 20% on your trade, then he's made 20% on the total. Simple math.

Having worked in retail in a previous life, I can tell you that 20% profit ain't much. Give the man his fair share.
    Do you want the gun or not??

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

There is no sense to any of it ... trying to figure it out will only drive you to insanity and they do not allow you to shoot at insanity, well at least not when I was there.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Way to go champ......now THAT'S thinking!

5. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

but you can still shoot incognito.

LL

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

I have never shot there ... is incognito a decent range?

7. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

just try and remember, when incognito, do as the cognitions do.

LL

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Must you be cognitive when your incognito with the cognitions?

9. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

code5coupe,

Your right it is more like 22% profit for the whole deal but I still think it is a little too much when dealing with high end trap guns.

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

you could always buy the guy out then you can make all the money. sell your gun out right for your price use the 20% more to buy the gun you want. personally i am glad i am not a dealer setting on a bunch of high end trap guns..

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

It is what it is. We are a competative, capitolistic society. And, I for one am glad of it. People can make the profit they can make. If someone thinks it is too much then go into the business and compete with them. I think a 20% profit from buying and selling something is cheap.

Not only that, but from what I see, trapguns are one of those things that have a huge disparity between the market buy and sell price. That is, if I WANT a Perazzi, Kolar, Krieghoff etc. they are pretty pricy. If I NEED to sell one, it seems I can't hardly give it away.

Jake

12. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

You guys crack me up! If a dealer wants to screw you that is alright, but let someone on this site try to sell one of their personal guns for a dime over and everyone on here raises holy hell and ruins their thread.

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

See! And afetr all that, dbls_champ goes and makes a damn good point. And a hush grew over the crowd..........................

14. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

Hmm, I wonder how happy YOU would be if someone else suggested YOU where making too much money at what YOU do? The way I see it the bizz I'm trying to deal with doesn't owe me anything and I don't owe them anything so if the deal aint right I just walk. Very dam few bizz can make it on 20% now, but I guess for some folks if they lose money and go under is ok as long as it happens after you get your good deal.

15. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i once had a car for sale for eighteen hundred dollars. an associate of mine asked what i had paid for the car, i answered nothing, my grandmother gave it to me but if you want it it will cost you eighteen hundred dollars.

16. JDS

JDS TS Member

And who's name is Stalin here!

17. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

I am in retail sales and if I can't make at least 25% on any item I am reluctant to even want to sell it, even if it is a high dollar item. Fact is it costs a lot of money to do business. I run into people like dbls_champ all the time that think their getting ripped off if the seller wants to make a profit.

18. JDS

JDS TS Member

It is called capitalism, I can't believe this. I'll bet he could get a job at ATA !

19. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"Your right it is more like 22% profit for the whole deal but I still think it is a little too much when dealing with high end trap guns."

It's still 20% profit (not 22%), no matter how you do the math, and hardly enough to be considered gouging.
    If an established dealer, who provides support and advice, wants to make $600 on a gun that sells for $3000, then who am I to say he should not be allowed to make that much profit? If the street value is $3000 and I want the gun, I'll buy it. If I think he's making too much profit (whatever that is)to the point that it causes me to write letters, then I won't buy the gun. My choice.

Those of you who want to pay little more than wholesale for your guns, I respectfully suggest you rake up $500,000 or so, borrow the rest, and open your own gun store......

20. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

code5coupe,

Say I try to trade a gun in and the dealer tells me it is worth $13,000 and he gives me $10,400 for the gun (80%). If he turns around and sells the gun for $13,000 he has made a 25% profit. Even though he gave me 80% of it's value, instinctively you would think he would only make 20% profit. I think that was the confusion he was actually making more of a profit that I thought. You have to excuse me sometimes, I haven't been in school for over 50 years!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.