1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

80/20

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill D., Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

Can some one explain to me what does it mean when you hear that a gun shoots 80/20 or 90/10 or what ever the combination what be.

Thanks

2. JJM

JJM Member

If you were to aim a dot say 25 yards out and 80% was over the dot and 20% under you got an 80/20 point of impack. 70/30 or 90/10 same deal.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

"80/20" means a gun which shoots moderately high. People will say "nine inches" but that doesn't tell you much about the gun referred to, since shooters who describe their guns that way seldom know, in my experience, where the gun shoots since he's never tested it. Each ten percent is equated to three inches of vertical height by a system (or two) that makes no logical sense, so don't even try to figure out where it came from.

In contrast someone who says 'This gun shoots nine inches high at 40 yards' probably has a least tried to find out, though there's little assurance that it would shoot there for you, since so much depends on how high the eye of the shooter is above the rib.

Neil

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Over the years I have bought trap guns set at the factory to shoot from 60/40 to as high as 120% . Here is the truth every gun shoots different for different shooters . No one shoots the same a 80/20 gun may shoot lower for me and higher for you . The only way to realy know is to PUT IT ON PAPER . I have a trap gun said by the maker to shoot 80/20 . It don,t for me for me it shoots a good 90/10 looking down the rib .

ALF

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

80/20=4 or.... Pareto's Law......Where a gun shoots depends on who's shootin it.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

all good above post's- to simply put it- your barrel is round and so is your pattern- where you point the gun- what % is above and below. a field gun usually is 50% or 1/2 above and 1/2 below. shoot a wounded duck on the water-point the bead right on him- where will most of the shot pattern be? below the duck- if you covered it up with barrel then the pattern wud surround the duck. in target shooting a straight away, most people want to see what they shoot at as they pull the trigger. on a rising target , how much of your load do you need working where the target is going , not where its at. if you wait or hang on a trap target and shoot as it flattens or peaks , then a lower % poi will work for you. if you shoot as the target rises fast then a higher % maybe needed- depends where you pick the target up on seeing it and when your brain says "shoot". sorry for the long post hope i helped

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.