1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$80.00 a bag shot soon?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I live in Rochester NY and I'm lucky enough to be able to buy my supplies from one of the biggest suppliers around. Stopped and bought a bag of shot yesterday and was told that the price may go to $80.00 a bag.

The guys said it would be due to all the lead going to Japan to cover the reactors if it comes to that. Now here is the question.
    I thought they burried them in concret. We had a cut out of the neclear plant in Wayne county near here and there was on lead. The core is covered with a dome of 3/8 carbon steel and concret. The reactor in Russia that melted down is covered in concret no lead.

Is this just a way to jack up the price of lead? This is right from the supplier not hear-say.

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

A ammo component supplier giving commentary on foreign affairs...you might as well get financial advice on which mutual funds are best to invest in from the guys filling potholes on the NYS Thruway LOL

I think your supplier is just another stop on the "rumor mill" train....

3. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

THey cap reactors with concrete! And on the plus side all that uranium will become lead in a few thousand years and will drive the price to .20 a bag!

4. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Only at Cabela's. It was $50 a bag on Sunday. HJH

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter one bit if lead goes to $80/bag, b/c no one will be selling any aways. $50/bag will about put me out of the game, and I certainly wouldn't be shooting @ $80/bag.

I think its highly irresponsible for a dealer to say something like this, when their true motivation is most likely to get people to "stock up" while its "cheap".

6. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

Biekirk is just trying to move the shot they have on hand what a bunch of crap LOL......... If it does go that high I along with everyone I shoot with wont be buying shot thats for sure.

7. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

If it does go that high I can guarantee that 99 percent of the people around here will quit! Of course nothing would surprise me!

8. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

kgun shooter

At $50.00 a bag I will have second thoughts about shooting!!!!!!!!!.Commodities are all speculation just like oil is .Manipulation.

Sandy Holehouse

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The type of radiation coming from that will cruise right past lead. Leads is good for short wave radiation (xrays). Short wave radiation doesn't travel very far before it loses all of its energy. IIRC Gamma rays will go through like ten feet of concrete.

10. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Sandy,

I agree that high commodity prices we have are all driven by speculation, but no-body will do anything about it. What ever happen letting the market correct itself with supply and demand. Do we really need a bunch of speclators in the oil market?

11. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I still have about a dozen or two bags of shot from when it was $19 a bag, wish I would have bought a couple tons

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Wait until hyperinflation kicks in.

13. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

As of 3pm NY time lead was $1.24 per lb. this is up .10 cents from the day of the earthquake, speculators a banking on the use of lead to seal those reactors if need be. That's why I ask about concret. I thought it was just concret that was used but needed to hear it from someone else. To bad all the speculators don't know this.

14. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Kgun Shooter,

No doubt about it,any negitive news about world problems with anything and the prices will spike!!!!!!!!!.Next thing it will be a cloudy day in the Mid East and the price of oil will rise another three bucks a barrel.It's all gettinn old,and im G.D sick of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Oh ,I bought shot at $6.00 a bag when I started shootinn in 1968,wish I had some foresite than !!!!!!!!!!! I always had a lot of --HINDSIGHT.!!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse .

15. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

The cheapest I can remember shot being is $10 a bag, gas $.86 a gallon. But I do remember that when I was in school $400 could buy a lot of reloading supplies.

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I remember 12.00 a hundred in the early sixtys.

17. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

If we all only believe one half of what we see ,hear or read ,it would be a better place for ALL!!!!!

18. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well with useing the shell cost analizer on this site at $55. a bag is when you may as well buy factory loads. BUT on the other hand I am sure that the cost of them will go up as well.

Jerry Lewis

19. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Local price in Wagga Wagga [Australia] hit $90 a bag some time ago . The shop owner didn't sell much. Prices at maker now around $50/ 20kg [22lb]

20. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It looks like the market price for a bag of shot is $38 to $40 right now.<BR>
    It will probably move up to $50 this summer. That is how high it went during the last run up.<BR>
    Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_03036.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.