1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8 y.o. Runs His First 25 Straight.................

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FormerMarine, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FormerMarine

FormerMarine Member

Congratulations to my son Ryan Yost. After over 10,000 targets and 2.5 years my boy finally ran them last night and then he followed it up with (3) more 21's for a personal best of 88!

I couldn't be more proud!

Bill Yost

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

That is awesome, Bill. Congrats to your son. More to come, I'm sure.

3. blkfin

blkfin Member

Bill, Glad to hear Ryan Ran 25 straight. Nice young man to shoot with, sorry I wasn't there to see it. I'm sure there will be many more to come. Congrats to Ryan !!!! You must be real proud. Hope to see you and Ryan at the Sothern Zone Shoot, Mike K.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Wow, that's amazing, Bill. Congratulations to your boy. I would have loved to have witnessed that joyous moment. Good for you both.

Would you mind sharing what shotgun you originally started him out with? I have a young son who weighs just over 70 pounds and he has trouble holding-up anything heavier than a sub-gauge youth Topper (not exactly the ideal trap gun)

-Gary

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Did you shoot his hat?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

That's fantastic. Just 8 years old. WOW.

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Heck of a job congrats to your son I bet you are one proud father.

8. TC

TC TS Member

Congratulations Ryan and Bill. Tony

9. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Bill, I know that happy moment when the kid whups you, been there and done that. Now get used to him kicking butt on a regular basis. Congratulations RYAN.

Charlie

10. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Gary,

If you are interested in a light weight Trap Gun for your boy, I have custom BT 99 that I had "fixed" for my boy. Email me at cab4trap@insightbb.com .

Charlie Becknell
    Lexington, KY

11. hoot619

hoot619 Member

That is some good shooting,who had the bigger smile? Dad or Ryan. That is something you both will never forget.
    Can you enlighten us what gun he started on and what he is shooting now. I have a grandson that wants to start. I bet Ryan is even smiling yet when he is asleep. I would have loved to see him make his 1st 25. Ken

12. FormerMarine

FormerMarine Member

Thanks for all the well wishes and congrats for Ryan! Today in our zone shoot he followed up with a 79 and a 86 so something has definitely clicked for him.

Ryan started just before his sixth birthday with a .410 H&R single shot and right away it was clear that something was different. He would shoot in the high 30's with that gun. He shot that for about 6 months and then I put him in the smallest 20 ga o/u that I could find which was a Stoeger Condor Youth. It has 22" barrels so he could hold it without it being too barrel heavy. He shot that gun for another year and then I bought him a BT99 Micro Plus that he struggled a bit with at first but I just let him keep shooting it and build up his strength with it. Even after a lay off this winter he came back and struggled with it again for about a month.

I think the most productive and important thing I did for him was to get him to Kay within 6 months of his start of shooting. He had no bad habits and still doesn't to this day.

All said and done he is now choked for smoke and he gets smoke on about 75% of the targets he shoots. I don't push him to shoot and when he wants to stay home and not shoot we do. More often than not though he wants to shoot. Today including the program and practice he shot 275 targets.

Hopefully we will be seeing alot more of him in the coming years.

13. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Holy cow! 8 1/2 and 10,000 targets?!?!? Look out Leo!

14. FormerMarine

FormerMarine Member

We actually estimate that it is well over 10,000 because of how much practice we have shot.

4700 registered singles.......1700 handicap........and 1100 doubles to date

15. Buckdeerdown

Buckdeerdown TS Member

I was lucky enough to be on the next station over from Ryan as he " smoked " 25 straight as if it was second hand. Congrats to Ryan for posting great numbers during the Southern at Pine Valley this weekend to confirm that he is ready to shoot with the big dogs. A big high-five to father Bill for the dedication of time, patience and finances that it takes to make a young man a feared shooter amongst his peers. I look forward to the day that one of my little boys run off the line and knows how proud I am of him as Ryan knew that day after seeing his dad's smile!
    Jason

16. model50lover

model50lover TS Member

Great Job, love to see young folks in the shooting game! Keep up the Good work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.