1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#8 vs #7 1/2 shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Besides the shot amount and the obvious size difference, what's the advantage/disadvantages between use #8 and #7 1/2 shot? Is there a situation where-as one is more preferred than the other?

Thanks,
    Blueraven

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

If you have a shell big enough to hold 8 ounces of shot, I don't think a half ounce less matters. Wayne

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I wouldn't want to feel the recoil from that shell. I don't think a PFS would help any. LOL.

ss

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

The maximum amount of shot allowed is 1 1/8 oz.

Advantage of #8 shot more pellets in 1 1/8 oz; Disadvantage less energy than #7 1/2 shot.

Advantage of #7 1/2 shot more energy per pellet; Disadvantage less pellets in 1 1/8 oz of shot.

7 1/2 bucks the wind better and will retain more energy at longer ranges.

Jason

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The greatest advantage of #7.5 shot is that it can be loaded into a fine trap shell. The biggest advantage of #8 shot is that it will make a fine trap load. By far the greatest disadvantage of both #7.5 and #8 shot is the price.

Pat Ireland

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I prefer to shoot 7 1/2 shot year round for trap. Why? I don't know. Probably because someone told me about how it handles better in the wind and I just adopted the fact that if it works better in the wind it has to be o.k. if it's calm. I do reload some 8's for sporting and 5-stand and 8 1/2 for skeet and have shot trap with them and done well with it. It's just an in your mind type of thing I guess.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The one advantage for 8s over 7 1/2s is the number of pellets; 345 in 1 oz of 7 1/2s and 409 in 1 oz of 8s; numbers are approx. of course. The reverse is that 7 1/2s have more energy behind them. The argument of more pellets or more energy being best will continue till our guns are taken from us.....Bob Dodd

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I get a little tipsy after a couple 8oz shots.

9. philk

philk Member

Now thats funny right there...

10. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

I don't think that the number of pellets in a shell matters..

I just started shooting 7/8 ounce loads and must say that I am sold!!!

To think that I used to shoot only 1-1/8 ounce loads since the 70's because I wanted to make sure I had the advantage...

Then last fall I was forced to shoot 1 oz loads because my supplier didn't have any 1-1/8's left in stock..

I just loved those ounce loads over the 1-1/8's and now since reading the many shooters remarks here , I have gone to 7/8 loads..

Lighter loads give a much better pattern and smoke-smoke-smoke...

Any one else have the same feeling,

Robert

( Newfoundlander )

11. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Newfoundlander, I just started shooting trap this year, for 25 years I shot sporting clays and skeet. I used to use a 1-1/8 #7.5 for all my loads thinking I would take all the advantage i could get. I ran out of shells one day and I bought some at the club house. I thought I had bought 1-1/8 but I actually bought ounce loads #7.5. I broke just as many birds with the ounce loads as i did with the 1-1/8 loads #7.5.

I have started shooting trap and I use the ounce loads and do very well for a beginner. I smoke em with the ounce loads, I might consider dropping down to the 7/8 load one of these days.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Newfoundlander and Basfshmn a couple of thing I will say to both of you I am happy that you guy like the light loads. If that is what you are interested I am glad for you, go for it.

The next thing I would like to say is if you are at a large shoot somewhere and the AA are buying shells. Watch them and see what the majority them are buying if it isn't 1 ounce or 7/8 ounce ask yourself. What do they know that you don't and would you trade your average for theirs?????

Bob Lawless

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Im gonna make this short and to the point.--I NEED EVERY PIECE OF SHOT i CAN GET IN THE PATTERN!!!!!!!.1-1/8 oz loads are the only way to go!!!!!!!!!!!.Bob's got it right on the post above mine.Oh,and shot size depends on the game your playing.(shooting)And I agree with ivanhoe 100%

Sandy Holehouse

14. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Raven,

A light #8 load is all you need for 16 yards..seems to me that what you lose is speed you gain in pattern formation...especially now that we're shooting in 70 degree weather with mild wind.

Smok'n Joe

15. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Wow...you were shooting skeet with 1 1/8 oz of 7.5's. That kind of over kill ain't it?

16. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have shot 1oz of 7.5, 8, and 8.5, and have found no difference in my score. What I have found, however, is what really matters is CONFIDENCE in your shotgun and ammo. If you're iffy with either, you're not going to do well.

17. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Hello Bob Lawlwss and the conn.man,

Here in Newfoundland we don't have the oppertunity of watching the big guns shoot , no big shoots here..

Ammo used by 98% of all shooters here are the cheepo Top Gun by federal , all in 1-1/8 loads...

As I mentioned in my statement , I was forced to use the lighter loads , not by my choosing but by fate...

My ATA adverage since 1994 is not that impressive any way , in fact in the high 80's to lower low 90's , so I has nowhere to go but up..

I find the lighter loads better and am getting better scores with them..

Just my opinion and I am not offended by your replies...

Maybe some day I will take in one of those major shoots and be very observant..

Thanks much for the reply,

Robert

( Newfoundlander )

18. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Has anyone ever mixed two sizes of shot in their loader to get a little of each?

19. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Newfoundlander--Robert.

There was no offence meant.I just stated what works the best for me !!!!!
    My goal on this Forum is to learn and not cause hate and discontent.Enjoy your shooting Robert,shoot what works the best for you.

Sandy Holehouse in Connecticut.

20. Cal Taylor

Cal Taylor Member

Hi,
    I shoot 7/8 oz of 8"s and 7.5's mixed at sporting , trap, and fitasc which is much farther than 27 yards. There is no recoil, shells costss less, and I shoot all day no recoil issues at all. There is only 1/2 oz lead in a 410 and I have seen people shoot very well at all disciplines, with a 410.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

8 shot vs 7 1 2 shot