1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#8 SHOT DINGLEBERRYS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I’m working on finishing up my first 2,000 reloads. My recipe: AA HS once fired; W209s; 20g Am Sel; CB 8118 Fig 8 clones; 1 1/8oz Lawrence #8. I’m using a refurbished old-school MEC 650 with a universal bar. I’ve been measuring shot and powder drops after every box—with very stable results.

Things are going pretty smoothly—once I got over the initial start-up issues. My shells have been shooting well and for the most part look really good; however, I’m getting the BB in the crimp A-hole syndrome on appx. 1/3 of every box. The crimp otherwise looks good, at the proper depth and uniform.

How do I adjust this out, or is it the nature of the beast? I don’t see this issue addressed in the owner’s manual.

Thanks,

Guy Babin

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Lower the crimp starter to close the hole.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yea, what RickN said.

The reason why you're only seeing this spuratically is because the hull lengths vary a little.

ss

4. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Lower crimp starter to where you barely cannot get a lead pencil eraser to fit into the hole - that should solve it - if not, check back.

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Another vote for lowering the crimp starter until the opening is smaller than a pencil eraser. MEC gave this advice when the new AA's fisrt came out. Don't mess with the finish die.

Kip

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Guy.... If your crimp starter is the plastic one with the little round tit on the bottom that the crimp starter snaps into, you can lower it by adjusting the two nuts that hold the stud in place. I found an easier solution was to buy an older style MEC metal spindex crimp starter. I then put a small spacer washer between the top of the starter and the underside of the frame of the loader. Then I tightened down the whole assembly. End of problem and the plastic junk is history..... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

kk,

I've lowered the cam a tad or two. Now I'm getting either perfect crimps, very slightly swirled, or a less often than before dingleberry. This might be the best I can expect.

Correction: I do have the metal starter T2 with the spacer.

Guy B.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you lower the starter crimp you will solve the problem. If you do not lower the starter crimp you will be punished by the reloading gods. HMB

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Lower the crimp starter as most everyone has said. Leave the cam alone or put it back where it was.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hi Guy, you hit the nail on the head with the fact that now you're getting either partially swirled and really nice crimps instead of either too open and nice. You have to find the agreeable setting to get maybe just a hint of opening to just a bit of swirling with lots of nice looking ones too. Play a bit with a little less and/or a little more of the adjustment and lock'er up when you are happy enough.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.