1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#8 shot @ 27yrds

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gslam, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gslam

gslam TS Member

I would like some experienced shooter to give an opinion on if #8 shot is dependable at 27yrds. If so at what speed? in the wind? on a cold day? I have had mixed results with it and would like to know if it is a topic that can really be answered correctly??

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

It is if you hit the target with it. When you get to where you don't miss putting the pattern on the target, you can start worrying about whether the pellets in your pattern are missing.

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

8's WILL break them from 27 yd., normal 1200 speed. In the wind and winter I prefer 7 1/2's but it's only a preference, most likely in my head. Where you lead the mind, the body will follow.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

#8 shot, especially if the wind is blowing and it is cool will absolutely not break targets from the 27 yard line unless you hit the target with a couple of them. If you do hit the target, they will work fine.

Pat Ireland

5. gslam

gslam TS Member

If it takes several #8 shot to break targets in the wind at 27, does that mean that one 7 1/2 is sufficient?????

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've shot quite a few rounds of practice from the 27 with 1 oz 8's (Federal 1 oz 1290's) and found them to be quite satisfactory. They work well out of tight choked guns (.035" or tighter).

ec90t

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have shot several good scores "in the summer" with 2 3/4 de. 8 1/2's and 9's from 27. I shot with a gentleman who had the wrong shells and broke a 97 from 27, they were his first shot in doubles, 2 3/4 1 oz of 9's. Some of it is mental but I like the smoke you get with a 7 1/2

8. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I use 7/8oz of #8's for practice from the 27,dont see any differance

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

light 8's will breake targets in good conditions (warm and dry). But when it's cold and damp you need 7 1/2's and faster shells breaks them harder than slower shells.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rick- For handicap, I use shot from a shot bag labeled 7 1/2. I have learned that what is on the label may not always be what is in the bag. My new shells are also 7 1/2 for handicap. I honestly don't think I could tell the difference if I had reloads of mixed 7 1/2 or 8. If you shoot imported discount shells, some of the time you do not have any idea what size shot in in the shell.

I have learned how to miss targets from the 27 with any size shot.

Pat Ireland

11. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I cannot tell any difference in breaks (during the summer) with shot which comes out of bags labeled 8s or 7 1/2s. Pat Ireland's point is well-taken...I don't measure (doubt if I would even if I knew how) shot to make sure of the size...who does? What could you do if you found your 7 1/2s measure what 8s are supposed to be...take the bag back to the seller?
    Meanwhile, 1 oz. of 7 1/2s at 1200+ do the job...this is the load most of FITASC shooters use and they shoot more challenging targets than trap...not to mention the <7/8 oz. loads required for International shooting games like the Olympics. For now, most shooters like the 3 dram 1 1/8 7 1/2 heavy (recoil) loads. Best Regards, Ed

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Oh yes...I missed the excellent thread "+++Inconsistent Shot Sizes+++" being discussed today. Apparently, some have found that Remington STS shot seems more consistent. I just have to take a "leap of faith" and try to hit the target. Now I wonder what the true gasoline octane reading is...not to mention how much salt is in my Fritos or how much alcohol is in my beer. You can't trust anybody... Best Regards, Ed

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Take 2 boxes 1 of 7.5s 1 of 8s mix them together in your shooting vest/pouch. Noe dont look at them, chamber them and shoot. Do not look at them when unloading either. Oh and make sure the hulls are the same color. See what happens. I prefer 7.5s for everything

14. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

http://www.joeletchenguns.com/rudy.htm Read this and be enlighted. D Winter

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I am sorry to say that energy from multiple pellet hits is not additive. If the energy a single pellet imparts when it hits the target is not enough to break it, then hits from five pellets won't break it either.

8 1/2s launched at 1150fps have enough energy for 27 yard handicap Spring, Summer and Fall. Bump it to 1200fps if you want a little more security. In the Winter it takes 7 1/2s to break damp, frozen biodegradable targets. Regular targets break just fine.

16. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I have used 1 ounce or 1 1/8 oz of 8's for years. shoot 2 3/4 dram 1145 shells for 16's and handicap --27 yard--. I really can not tell any difference in any breaks. Thye got me to the 27 yard line and more. I have even use 1 ounce of #8's and broke 25 dtraight form 27. summer or winter. I do use 3 dram 7 1/2 from the 27 when shooting oakley or protector but can't tell any difference in any other games. motordoc

17. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Piddy recommends 7 1/2 shot at the 16 and 9 shot at the 27, and he's an expert.

18. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Where's Neil and his computations when we need him?

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have several friends who shoot 2 3/4 DE 8s for their long yardage games; some only 1 oz. Generally, I'd gladly take their scores if I could change.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

20. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Most of the better shooters I know shoot 7 1/2's today. And usually those marked handicap. But that said. As someone pointed out above. Dan Orlich shot 8's in handicap. Broke several 100's with same and also the 400.

On another note, Ron Alcoriza shot several 100's with light 8's. At the Grand a few years back he broke 100 singles, 100 handicap and 100 doubles, all with
    "super light 8's". I guess it is more important where you put the patern than any other circumstance. - Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.