1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8 petal wads in dryer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

Did I read on this Forum that you can put 8 petal wads in the clothes dryer to get the petals to turn out? If this is what is done, how do you do it, just throw a few handfuls in the dryer? Do you put them in something? How long does it take? Inquiring minds want to know!

Don

2. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Put them in a pillow case and throw them in the dryer for 10 minutes. The petals should open up nicely.

Chris

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

at what temp setting?

4. Habib

Habib Member

I just open the whole bag of 500 and dump them in at med temp for a few minutes, until they are warm. No need to roast them. Keep an eye on them, it's obvious when the petals have opened. I run all wads through the dryer.

5. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

I do it on my windjammer wads all the times. Dy till pillow case is nice and warm (about 10 minutes). Works on 4 petal stiffer wads too. They will load better then you can imagine.
    Chris

6. plux001

plux001 Member

Works better than wire wheels in the dishwasher.
    Significant other sure was hot over that one...

Paul

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

What exactly is the point of this exercise?

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Bet my wife would love this one.

Especially since here hair dryer went missing when I started roll crimping and when she found the pillow case in the washer she really flipped out...

What would this accomplish with 4 petal wads??? I too am not understanding this trick of the trade...

9. Habib

Habib Member

"What would this accomplish with 4 petal wads??? I too am not understanding this trick of the trade?"

4 petals or 8, I have never seen any type of wad that didn't have folded petals.

10. porky

porky TS Member

I haven't seen any with the downrange Remington clones.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've never had a problem with bent petals. Then again I only reload with DownRange wads.

ss

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Usually it is only reloaders who use a machine that seats the wad and drops the shot at a different stations that experience problems with folded petals; MEC users can just slide the wad up onto the wad seating ram/shot drop tube. When I loaded with a P-W and RCBS Grand, I used a mesh dryer bag for women's delicates to heat my wads.

Most of the time, petals become deformed when the wads are packaged while still warm from being molded. The petals assume the shape they are in when they cool and rewarming them causes them to return to their intended shape. Wads that are allowed to fully cool before being packaged demonstrate far less deformation.

Ed

13. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

___ <I>"What exactly is the point of this exercise?"</I>

Warm wads are more comfortable to work with in a cold basement!

Seriously, Claybuster and Windjammer wads bend their petals crowded next to each other in the bag, especially if the bags are stored upright inside of laying down (they are bagged warm). Downrange wads don't do that (nearly as badly).

5 minutes of medium heat relaxes most of the petals for loading BUT if the wads aren't used within a few days of being heated, the petals have a tendency to curl in at the top so the shot cup area looks like a whiskey barrel from the side; heat doesn't correct THAT.

Mike K

14. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

Like Ed says. A mesh bag with a draw string works well for me.

15. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Downrange Wads- end of problem. I agree that mec is the answer to the problem but my Grand is OK with the DR brand.

16. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

8 petal-4 they ALL go into a pillow case for a tumble...........

GS

17. Habib

Habib Member

I use Downrange, they have bent petals just like all the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.