1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8 Petal 1oz Wads for Federal cases?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 23, 2013.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Is the Downrange DRHFO the only/best choice, or is there anything else out there?

2. trw

trw Member

Ian,

You can use the ClayBuster CB4118 wad to good effect with an ounce of shot in many hulls. It is listed as a 32 gram or 1 & 1/8 oz. wad. Claybuster also has their 7/8 oz. 'Lightning' wad that can be used in some larger capacity hulls w/1 oz. of shot. Both are 8 petal wads.

Good crimps are predicated on the combination of hull and loader adjustment(s). FWIW, I've not found it necessary to use a filler w/either for good tight crimps. When using the 'Lightning' wad you may find it necessary to apply some solid wad pressure. Again, it depends on the specific hull being used.

3. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with the WJ Lightning wad copy from clay buster and a friend of mine will shoot nothing else but the original yellow WJ 1oz. wad.

The Lightning wad in the Fed. case with 17gr of Red Dot makes a good 1150FPS load.