1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8 or 7.5 shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WJN, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WJN

WJN TS Member

I am sure there has been a thread on this but the search stuff wasn't coming up.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using 8 or 7.5? I assume it is just a matter of preference to the user but don't know enough to be sure. Is there a patterning difference or advantage to one over the other cost wise reloading. I have mostly been using #8 but I'm down to two bags each.

I was planning to order a couple more bags and just wanted some feedback.

Thanks guys!

Jim

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

An Ounce and an eighth of 7&1/2.

Shawn

3. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

An ounce and 1/8 of 8's

4. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

What I have found is:

For me load of 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 at 1145 fps and a full choke yielded just as many pellets in a 24 inch circle at 40 yards as the same load with 8's.

Over the course of a year my average in singles using 7 1/2 compared to 8's was 3 hits higher. Ninety five with 8's and 98 with 7 1/2.

I use 8's for the first shot in doubles with a modified choke and 7 1/2 with a full or extra full for everything else.

Your mileage may vary.

Charlie

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

here we go again!!

6. WJN

WJN TS Member

Eurojoe - I am new (trap and reloading) and am honestly just looking for opinions. I hope I didn't start one of those "Which is the best gun oil?" threads.

Jim

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Use either one..........both have enough energy at 1145 fps, to dust up the birds real good. I prefer 1 oz......1150 fps. less recoil, and wish I could get the same results with 7/8 oz.

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I broke a 98 Caps with #8's. The 2 losses were heavely dusted. 7 1/2's would have got a piece due to the higher energy per pellet. Use #7- 1/2 for everything ( fewer dusted targets)
    Clyde

9. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Cheapest I can find. Averages haven't changed. Shoot 1.125 oz though always I need all the help I can get. AA 25 yard.

Good luck Jim,

Brady

10. bigben

bigben Active Member

The vast vast majority of accomplished handicap shooters choose 7 1/2 energy from 8's 8 shot .83 at 40 yds. energy with 7 1/2 at 40 is 1.14 only becaause anything bigger is illigal! incinerate em!

11. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Jim,

I've shot both and don't notice a lot of difference.
    Just my preference, but I do use 7 1/2's from the 24
    to the 27 yard line.
    Also used to shot the old Remington Duplex load. A mix of
    7 1/2's and 8's. They discontinued that in the late 90's
    if memory serves me right. They didn't sell all that well.
    Forgetting reloads for the moment, when I shoot my new STS
    in 1oz, 8's, they or I don't care what yardage I'm shooting.
    I think once you find a load you're comfortable with you'll
    be fine.
    My normal reload is an STS hull, 18.5grns International Clays,
    1oz Windjammer wad and 1oz of hard 8's. Very soft and smashes
    targets (when I do my part).

Mike C.

12. WJN

WJN TS Member

I have been using 7/8oz with E3/STS hulls/Win wads/Win primers #8 shot. Just getting low on shot and need to grab some more. I decided to get 7.5 just to see if I could notice a difference. I doubt I will. When I miss it wouldn't help if I was shooting #4 shot.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If your club throws bios use the 7 1/2s. HMB

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have seen a lot of dust fly off them bios with 8 shot. I agree with HMB on the 7.5.

15. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

If you are shooting bios, go 7.5 and as tight as you dare shoot without dropping birds to the fringe.

16. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

When I made the 27 I took nitro 27's in 8 shot and 7 1/2 to the pattern board, not a normal board but 30" of solid targets glued to a board. I did it a number of times before I started pattern work I wanted to know what is more important at the distance I hit the target..more shot or larger shot. I looked at target damage, number of hits, impact on the target edges etc..I also took a very close look at the theory that it takes 3 hits to bust a target..3 hits where? are 3 hits of 7 1/2 the same as 3 hits of 8?

Know I had my gun, my choke, my distance. All of that is very important to the end result. But the most important part of the test for me is what the shot did to the targets.

So out of the same gun and choke the primary testing factor was bigger shot, or more shot. One was hands down better for real damage to clay in 30" better by a mile..

I'd like to say what I found, and it was hands down for me no question, in fact I thought it would be close, but it's not.but my test only matter to me.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What about 8 1/2's and 9's???

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

1-1/4 oz. # 5, 3-1/4 dr. eq.

No sense in being a sissy or a girlie man...go macho..

Curt

FEAB9

19. chikeneyes

chikeneyes TS Member

If there was one shot to use in all cay target events the answer wouls be 7 1/2 the big guns all shoot it without qestion mess with whatever 7 1/2 get is done

20. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Well Pointer...???

Which was it 7.5's or 8's...no one's going to flame your results...this is a discussion. Mileage can vary...but inquiring minds want to know what you found in your experiment??? (..and yardage tested at?).

Stan..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.