1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8 months off the dip!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I saw another thread and I thought I would share my own story.

I am 36 and a CHRONIC dipper for the past 20-22 years. 2 tins a day in college at last I was a tin a week. Copenhagen or Skoal mint either or.

Anyway, this past June I was shooting at the PA State shoot and while on the line I kept getting this feeling I had something caught under my tongue. Obviously no mirror or anything to look. Forgot about it and when I got home a few days later, I got the same feeling. This time I had a mirror around.

Under my tongue was a growth about the diameter of a dime growing wild.

Needless to say I crapped my pants, made an appointment to see the Oral surgeon who took my wisdom teeth out. Never told my wife as i know she would kill me before any cancer might have.

I went online, looked at the horror stories, the pictures of the guys with their jaws cut out, tongues cut out, etc... It made things much worse at 2am the night before I went to the oral surgeon.

Showed up, he checked it out and said it looked like a beginning growth probable from chewing a straw or tooth pick all the time. I never mentioned chewing and he never said anything like my mouth looked horrible.

I said I could leave it go or he could cut it out and wanted to know when. I told him to get cutting right now. He cut it out sewed it up and told me he would call me in about 5 days and let me know what the biopsy said. I told him to only call if it was bad news. I then told him that I was a chronic chewer for the past 20 some years. He was amazed that my mouth was in such good shape and he definitely thought chewing could have caused the growth but he didn't think it was cancer.

My wife came home from work to see me already home. She wanted to know what the hell I was doing home in the middle of the day. I still couldn't talk with the numbing agent and all the gauze in my mouth.

When she realized what the hell was going on she damned near beat the hell out of me and began sobbing and she knew I was toast.

The Doctor never called. I had to know what the results were so I called about a month later and he said everything was cool it was a benign growth caused by over healing of a cut or something probably caused by dipping.

That scare of my life, scare of losing my wife and kids at 36, the crap I had to scoop out of my pants was the biggest lesson I ever learned about dipping and never looked back.

AS a football coach I see chew all the time and believe me I can still taste the fine pinch of Cope or Skoal and its real hard not to fall off the wagon.

But 8 months later, the mouth feels better, I am about 15 pounds heavier BUT... I am off the chew.

If you are still chewing, I am not your dad, but when the threat of mouth cancer comes-a-knocking you'll wish you quit!!

Jeff A.
    Pennsylvania

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Not to worry Jeff! We have lots of Dips on this website! But it ain't tobacco they're dipping!

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Congratulations. After 8 mos you should have it licked. Good luck in staying clean! Check in in 4 mos and tell us you've made your 1st year anniversary.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

And here I thought you were talking about dipping chips in dip. lol

Just kidding.

Seriously, you now know that dip can kill you just like smoking cigarettes and as you've seen some of the pics, you know it is not a nice way to go.

Good luck staying off and I'll bet your wife is a happier woman now too.

Hauxfan!

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

BucPride29:

Good for you I have a cousin that dippped all the time and he got bad sores in his mouth and the doctor told him that he was going to look like the guy above if he don't stop.

I don't know if he went back to dipping after he healed up or not maybe the phoot will help other out there also.

Fog

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Harder to quit than smoking. I have't dipped in years but I still dream about it , I'll wake up in the middle of the night dreaming of a nice chew and drool all over he pillow.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You were lucky.

A few years back a local teenager who dipped two to three cans a day had to have his jaw and tongue removed. That still wasn't enough to save him, and he died in horrible pain and misery, not even being able to vocally tell his family he loved them before he went.

Also knew an older gentleman who died from stomach cancer from swallowing his chew when he was in places he didn't want to spit.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I quit about 7 years ago. I still dream about chewing and sometimes it's so real I wake up feeling guilty like I had really taken a chew. I hear you Royce10 as I have been tempted many a time but like you I KNOW BETTER!!!! I would take 1 chew and be back up to a can a day within a week or so. That stuff has got to be one of the most addicative things on earth. I never would have quit if it didn't cause cancer. Rotten breath, teeth ruined, the whole bit... I would have kept it up anyway if it wasn't for the mouth cancer. Those poor bastards look terrible when they get done cutting.Jeff

9. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

I chewed for 30 years, been off it for 8 now, I still miss it, I love the smell of cope. I wish I could take an occasional pinch ,but know if I did I'd run to the store and buy a roll and be right back to my old way's

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I dipped for many years I quit in 1997 as I was going through a diviorce. One of the hardest things I have ever done! My last urge to go buy a can of "hagen" was in 2002! So my word to you is good luck and keep the urges at bay.

Semper Fi

Ronbo

11. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Keep it up, I chewed Days Work, Copenhagen, Skoal, etc for 20 years. Gave it up cold turkey after about 10 times trying. My gums were pulling away from my lower teeth and were painful. I have chewed a couple of times since, but it made me deathly ill, thank God. No desire any longer though. Ben

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I quit chewing key when I quit smoking Camels and pall malls. I would start again if the world was coming to an end.

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Good for you, Jeff. I smoked and chewed. I quit smoking in 1988, but kept dipping Cope and chewing Beech Nut. I worked as a hand on oil well workover rigs, so it was easy not to smoke; and real easy to keep chewing. The kicker for me was a bad case of bleeding gums.

My dentist performed a root planing procedure where he peeled back my gums and scraped away all the crap underneath. No fun. I'd rather take an ass kicking than have to go through that again.

I quit that day. It was way easier to quit smoking, but after 15 years, I don't miss chewing anymore.

14. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Best support group I have ever heard from.

Can't beat Trap shooters. Best friends I ever made!!

Jeff A.

15. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Buc,

Congratulations on the intestinal fortitude to quit the dip addicition. Had a buddy out here who lost his teeth, then some bone fron his botton jaw, then his life. You've made the RIGHT decision.

Fn in MT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

8 months no dip