1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8 Gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Drexel, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drexel

Drexel Member

Looking to buy any 8 gauge stuff. Reloading equipment, shells, hulls etc.

Any ideas on reloading 8 gauge shells would be appreciated.

Regards,

Guy

2. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Going duck hunting are ya? LoL!!!
    Todd

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

PrecisionReloading.com has 8 gauge components including hulls. The only 8 gauge I have ever been around was a kiln gun. That monster fired massive slugs into a rotary kiln to bust off the clinkers. I can't imagine shooting something like that out of a shoulder mounted sporting gun.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Guy- Did you get a punch last weekend?

Pat Ireland

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I shoot a fair amount of 8ga, but mostly use RMC brass cases.

I load it down sometimes at take it to the range - lots of fun, there, esp with a nice dab of Holy Black.

Bob

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I thought that anything larger than 10ga was banned in the early 20th century (around 1912).

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

For migratory birds in the US & Canada, yes, larger than 10bore is illegal.

I have a couple of 8bore guns, and the one that I hunt, an 1876 John Manton sidelever damascus gun, says '10' in a couple of places, and the brass says '10' also. :)

It is both lighter and lither than any Spanish 10ga SxS, and multiple game wardens have looked at it, and a couple even asked to shoot it.

It's reasonably lethal, yus.

Bob

8. Drexel

Drexel Member

Thanks for the great replies! I have checked out RMC. Nice brass hulls. Precision offers good stuff as well. I need to get some good loading data. I have 2 English 8 gauges. One is a Greener ejector gun with 36" barrels. Never seen a 8 gauge ejector before this one.

9. Drexel

Drexel Member

Thanks for the great replies! I have checked out RMC. Nice brass hulls. Precision offers good stuff as well. I need to get some good loading data. I have 2 English 8 gauges. One is a Greener ejector gun with 36" barrels. Never seen a 8 gauge ejector before this one.

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Get Tom Armbrust's 8 & 4ga reloading book from Precision. That's where to start.

I've never seen an ejector 8, either. If you need to swage the band off industrial 8ga hulls, call Dave Davison at ch4d.com

Armbrust can also get you a MEC 600 with 8ga dies, if you want to go that route.

Bob

11. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have a short movie clip that will make an 8 gauge look like a cap pistol. Can anyone out there post the clip if I email to you as an attachment? It's pretty cool.

12. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Ballistic Products has everything you need. If the empty hulls fit in your gun, there's no need for any reloader, it can all be done by hand.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A local gunshop had a 4-gauge muzzleloading shotgun. Recoil was probably not an issue, since it weighed so much that you'd have trouble shouldering it for long. It was almost five feet long.

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The eight gauge MEC conversion is grossly overpriced. Load them by hand as another poster suggests. The RMC brass is the way to go unless you need a bunch of loaded shells for a long trip. RMC brass uses regular 209 primers and should last forever.

15. Drexel

Drexel Member

Just ordered the Armbrust book from Precision. Once I review I will start getting together the components. I have not seen any plastic wads available. I assume that I will have to use cardboard. Does anyone have a favorite load from the Armbrust book?

Guy

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You can get 8ga Remington plastic wads from PR, also.

I have several Bismuth and a few lead loads, using both Circle Fly cardboard & fiber wad columns, and RxP-8 wads.

I load with both Swiss #1½ black and SR4756 (or Longshot).

A fave of Armbrust's and is sure sweet, too: 42gn 4756, 2oz of shot, Rem Wad, roll crimp; 1220fps 11200psi. I load that one down, with 1¾ shot & 7drams of Suisse.

A good, fun trap load is 2¾dr of ffg and 1-1/8 of shot, with lots of fiber & cardboard to fill. Recoil is non-existant, but plenty of smoke & noise and a lot of fun.

Bob

17. Drexel

Drexel Member

If I shoot black powder, how bad is the barrel clean up afterwards? I hear that you need to use very hot water.

Guy

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Nah, it's pretty straightforward: soap & water, followed by clear water, then oil. Real hot water for rinsing dries quicker.

If you're using BP, stay away from any oil of any fashion until dry.

If you are using Rem plastic wads, that's another issue, as BP melts plastic. You do have to work on the plastic some.

What loads & powders are your guns proved for? Pics?

GS

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've never played with muzzleloaders. So I can't comment on cleaning them up.<br>
    <br>
    But I can clean a breech loading firearm that uses blackpowder cartridges very easily and very fast. In fact, often faster than one using smokeless powder.<br>
    <br>
    The fly in the ointment is twofold.<br>
    <br>
    First, the firearm must be cleaned within a short time span to prevent corrosion, as the blackpowder residue is hygroscopic, meaning it readily absorbs moisture from the air. These guns must be cleaned the same day, or even within a couple of hours if it is really humid.<br>
    <br>
    Second, the cartridges themselves must be processed if they are going to be salvaged for reloading. They must be deprimed, then washed in hot, soapy water, rinsed, and dried. This takes much longer than cleaning the gun. Keep in mind that some of this brass is expensive. There are some cartridge cases that are running up to $4 for each case! I once bought 60 cases for one of my rifles, and it set me back $180. You can bet I immediately cleaned those cases!

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Don't use black powder if you don't love it. I find it hard to believe that Tom Armbrust has a favorite load that goes over 11,000 psi. An eight bore should run at a very low pressure. It's been a while since I looked at Armbrust's loads, so check them out. If you want real light loads, cut some shells back to a shorter length until you get to a length that fills the case without a bunch of added wads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

8 gauge hulls

8 gauge kiln gun

8 guage hulls
8-gauge hulls
remington kiln gun in 8 gauge
rmc 8 ga hulls
tom armbrust 8 gauge
where can i get 8ga shotshells