1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by start1, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. start1

start1 TS Member

i would appreciate anyone that would share reloading data for 8 gauge industral winchester plastic hulls. thanks

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pterodactyls are out of season.

3. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Jerry, I have a couple of the shells you are describing, in my shotgun shell collection in their un-fired state, but know nothing about an 8-gauge reloader or how to do that, if possible on a consumer basis. I have never heard of an 8-gauge reloader available to the public, but then again, I don't know everything. That's for sure. I know you can find 10-gauge reloaders, but don't know of anything bigger. Those shells are huge when sitting besides my little .410 loads !!! Mike* (MH*)

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Site above has new 8 gauge pre-primed hulls if that helps.

This site below will load anything you can dream unless i misunderstood their ad. They show 8 gauge

http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/

Matt

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

First step is to get rid of the extra ring on the base of the shell. Some peel off the extra layer, some make a resizer to squeeze it down. I have never seen a resizer that will do the job, I have always peeled the extra layer off. I don't know whether you can do that on the most recent 8 gauge industrial cases.

6. jandbburch

jandbburch Member

If you need any new factory loaded 8 gauge industrial shells, I have nearly a full case of Remington Magnum 3oz. slugs (Black Hulls) and Magnum 3oz. #2 shot.I would let them go for a very reasonable price!

Regards, Jim B.

7. Brian in Oregon

3 oz #2 loads... I bet those would be devastating on a coyote.

8. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Who would you hire to shoot the thing?

9. grntitan

Brian--I would think the 8ga. 3oz slugs would be no walk in the park. Heck a regular 12ga 1oz slug is chunk of recoil in itself.

Matt

10. Brian in Oregon

I'd shoot it. But then I'm used to shooting my Winchester 1885 in 50-140. That's a .512" 700 grain bullet over 140 grains of blackpowder, pushing it to 1450 fps. There are 437.5 grains in an ounce.

11. grntitan

That sounds like a two step gun. Thats the kind when you shoot it you take two steps backwards. LOL Sounds like fun. I'll shoot about anything thats safe once..

Matt

12. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

They use to shoot the lime build-up ring that formed in the cement kilns where I work. The gun was bolted to the kiln shell and they shoot these 3oz. Slugs for hours on end. Literally thousands of rounds. First of all you'd be insane to try and shot it. I'd first like to see anyone hold the gun. Took two of us to lift it.

13. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Goatskin shoots an 8 gauge. Hope he chimes in.

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

in the movie Appolisa....Viggo carries an 8 gage.

tony

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jerry, I have Tom Armbrust's 8 ga re-loading manual. Is there anything specific you're looking for?

Yes, I have an 8ga gun, a John Manton 1876, and I shoot it & hunt geese with it. (shhhh**) I use RMC brass cartridges, marked '10', and I shoot a fairly 'typical' British 10ga hunting load: 1-5/8 or 1¾oz of Bismuth.

My smokeless loads are Longshot and SR4756 (42gn of either) and Rem 8ga wads (Precision Reloading or BPI), and a glued-in overshot card in the brass hulls. It is a very mild-shooting, fast, lethal load.

When I shoot BP, I use 5 to 7drams of Swiss 1½, and card&fiber stack of wads. (Black Powder melts plastic wads in the barrel and it is no fun to remove.)

I have shot industrial hulls in it, and as Murph suggests above, it is not a simple matter to swage the ring, esp with the new hulls where the shelf is built in, rather than applied ... but it's do-able.

C&H has dies for loading 8ga. They fit in a Rockchucker and work very well. Somebody in Canada makes a MEC 600 8ga loader, and if you want to call Armbrust, he was involved in the project, and knows how to get one, but by far and away the easiest way to close a plastic hull is roll-crimp (PR or BPI, again).

** Yes, I have been checked by both state and federal game wardens in more than one jurisdiction. The have, universally loved "my old 10ga gun ... you don't see many of these any more."

Bob

16. Brian in Oregon

Banning 8 ga for hunting was done on recommendations from sportsmens groups going back almost a century. They wanted to ban punt guns used for market hunting. So 8 ga was arbitrarily picked.

All they had to do was ban firing of shotguns for hunting from other than being handheld and shoulder fired. Few would hunt with a shotgun that weighed 15 or more lbs, and anything lighter would be ridiculously nasty for recoil with typical market hunting loads.

So in an attempt to ban a gun by its feature, they just picked the 8 ga.

17. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I have seen an ad for the converted MEC 8 gauge loader. It is ridiculously expensive. Eights are best loaded by hand. How is the resizer made or used in a press? I would love to know how it is done now that the shells almost have to be resized rather than peeled. I guess the best solution is to use RMC cases.

18. start1

start1 TS Member

thank you all for the response to my 8 gauge info. seek. after posting this request i found "the book" on 4 and 8 gauges on performance reloading site. precision and ballastic products both offer components for reloading an 8 gauge but only precision has "the book" and they are out of stock. i have purchased a 10 gauge spanish made dickson-falcon single barrel break open shotgun. it has a "cannon breech" and the thickest barrel walls i have ever seen on a shotgun if any gauge. my plan is to cut the barrel off and sleeve an 8 gauge barrel into the back portion of the barrel of this gun. i had not received this gun when posting this question but now have it in hand. after looking this gun over i have am doubting if there will be enought thickness of metal where the locking mechanism is made on the under side of the barrel. the bottom of the barrel is not near a thick on the bottom third and the top 2/3's. i have a good supply of winchester industral low power once fired hulls. some folk turn the double brass off at the rim and some just recut the chamber so industal hull will fit. i am not there yet. while this dickson-falcon is not a purdy or holland and holland it is still an unusual gun and i do not want to cut metal until i know this gun can be sucessfully fitted with an 8 gauge barrel. i also am no metal xpert but the quality of metal in this gun appears to not be chrome-moly more of the semi steel or malliable iron - really soft compared to any american gun made in the steel shot era. am going to be checking with a gunsmith whose advice i can rely on about this project. it may be no more than a day dream but it is a good on so far. again thanks for the response and i will post info if this is a go project.

19. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jerry, I feel your pain ... but unless your single is measurably different than the two Dickson falcon doubles that I have measured, you don't have to sleeve it to make an 8bore.

The ones I measured can be bored and the chamber cut to 8ga. Pacific has the reamers, and yes, the steel is 'soft.'

MOST of the 10-to-8ga conversions do not bore out to the 'spec' .835. They are usually in the .810-.815 range, and shoot fine. 8ga is not very pressury, anyhow. If you wish, I'll give you a couple of names I talked to who can cut the bores and chambers, and leave the gun choked how you want it.

Bill, C&H is a two-die set, swaging most of the overage on the 1st die, and fininshing it and radiusing the head on the 2nd die. I had a local shop make mine up double-ended, and hammer-swaged them with the die in a vice: brass moves pretty easily.

RMC is the way to go, especially if you load Black, even occasionally: the melting is spectacular in plastic hulls.

Bob

20. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Rick, please post pics. It was not unusual for both military and sporting guns to be large-bore. I lurve shooting my flintlocks ...

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
8 ga hulls
8 gauge load data
8 gauge reloading manual
8ga shotgun shells sale

load data for 8ga shotgun

new 8 gauge hulls

reloading 8 guage shells

resizing 8ga shotgun shells