1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8 1/5 or 9 for 27 yard handicap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ahab, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Use #9s...it will help you get back to the 22 yard line.

2. winmag

winmag TS Member

8 1/5 MUST BE SOME WERES BETWEEN 8 AND 8 1/2 IF MY MATH IS CORECT. WHY BOTHER. JUST BY 8S AND GET IT OVER WIDTH.

BILLY

3. quicky

quicky Member

As a matter of fact, I won the long yardage (27) in a shoot here in Wyoming 2 Saturdays ago with a 94 and shoot-off. All with 1.125 oz. of 8 1/2. Used .360" powder bushing in my Spolar with Tightgroup powder and the TGT12s wad with WW primers. Ran the first 50 and dropped 6 on the last 50, 24 in the shootoff. Nitro hulls. I like the load for dry summer targets at elevation and plan to load more after that experiment. Quicky

4. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Fun Shoots are one thing but 1380 is a little fast for legal competition loads I believe.

Post-2

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Daro Handy shot a 98 from 27 with his singles load of 1 OZ of 8 1/2's at 2 3/4 dram. I suspect that in warm weather, Caldwell targets, and higher elevation you could certainly get away with it. It wouldn't be my first choice but in a pinch I have used my singles load from the 23 yard line and run many 25's with them. I suspect that any target you center will break even at 27 yards. the problem is very few of us center the majority of our targets which is why( MY OPINION) we need the added energy that bigger pellets provide. Jeff

6. quicky

quicky Member

Post-2: Went downstairs and pulled the powder bushing; it is .355". According to the powder mfg. chart with a Fig. 8 wad and Rem primer (roughly = to WW) it is clocking along @ 1255 fps. I don't know how you can get to 1380 with a .5 gn increase since a 1.4 gn increase only netted 55 fps more on the speed chart. I don't see any data on the TGT12s wad in Hodgdon's web site. Quicky.

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I think EVERYONE should shoot 8&1/2 and 9's at trapshooting!!!!!!!! I can not wait to see you in the shoot off's........OH WAIT>>>>>Thants right I won't!!!!

GS

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mike,

We shoot Annies from the 16yd line with .410's in this neck of the woods. We have a couple of guys that shoot 1/2oz loads at about 1700fps using a 3" shell.

ec90t

9. stevea

stevea TS Member

i have found that 8 1/4 shot works the best for me.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have tried both 8.5's and 9's from the 27. With no wind they will bust the bird. But, with any wind your dead in the water.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot a box of new Winchester 2 3/4 dram 9's from the 27 yardline one time just for kicks because when I was shooting a lot I used to shoot rather quickly most of the time ... They worked on all but one target and that just might of been me, but who knows ... I might do it playing but not when the money is on the line, that would be a fools game and catch up with you eventually ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Quicky ,

Congratulations!!

If we draw deer tags, we may see you in October.

Dicksie Spolar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 for 27 yard handicap

in trap why is 27 yards handicap