1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8 1/2 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I use 81/2 for singles & the first shot in doubles---What is the max distance 81/2 is good for? I know some of the old die hards will say use 71/2 for everything. While others will say use 8 for everything. I got about 3/4 ton of 81/2 & want to stretch it to the limit. When the price of shot comes down, I'll buy some #8.,--- For my my second shot in doubles & longer yardage caps.---Phil

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You can do very well with 7/8 oz on the first shot of Dubs. While you are on the field, screw in a Full choke and try those loads on the 16.

If you don't have confidence in the light load on the 16, use 15/16 oz (26 grams).

The 7/8 oz load will DESTROY the first Dubs target, and the 16 as well.

You are NOT the only shooter wanting to stretch out your shot supply.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

It depends on how much energy you believe it takes to break a target. The consensus seems to be 0.5 ft/lb. Just to add a safety factor, I chose 0.6 ft/lb as the cut off point for my spreadsheets.

8 1/2 shot launched at 1150fps drops to 0.6 ft/lb 42 yards. 1200fps=43.5 yards. 1250fps=45 yards. 1300fps+46.5 yards. That's enough energy at trap shooting distances to do the job.

I find 7/8oz of 8 1/2 will simply vaporize singles targets. 1oz also works for short yardage caps.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

zzt- Do you have any idea about the reliability of the 0.5 ft.lbs number required to break a target. Does this number take into account the angle that the shot hits the target? Also- please send me an e-mail. I want to discuss my in progress device to compare the "break-ability" of different targets. Put something about trapshooting in the subject line (Phirel@AOL.com).

Pat Ireland

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Pat, I have no scientific evidence either way. Anecdotally, I have seen a friend run them from 27 using 7/8oz #9. I break 60-70 yard protection targets using 1 1/8oz #8 @1150fps. In both instances, retained energy is below 0.5 ft/lb.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

zzt, the friend you speak of that has run them from the 27, is that 25, 50 or 100 straight? What were the weather conditions, ie windy, calm, temperature, etc? Does this friend regular shoot this load in registered? If so what is his average? If not then why not if he can run straights with this load?

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Martin, summer, 80s, breezy, no he uses 1 1/8oz of 8 or 7 1/2. AAA27. Because he isn't stupid. He ran 25 straight in practice using 7/8oz #9 because he ran out of his regular loads. The point was 9s launched at 1200fps have enough energy 40-45 yards out to break targets, not a suggestion to use them.

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I am not a tech nut but I do experiment alot. I have been loading 1 1/8 oz in a 15.9 Red dot Blue Windjammer Win 209 in a AA case for my field trial load, mainly BW Quail and sometimes Chukar over pointing dogs. I just kept trying different things Until I had no cripples for the dogs to run down. At a meat shoot this past winter, cold clear day with moderate wind, and not my usual 7 1/2's handicap load that I normally shoot, I grabbed the wrong ammo. Six shoots and five wins anywhere from the 16 yard line to the sidewalk, appx 35yd line and no cripples there either. .25 restriction from a Franchi bbl. Bye Bye handicap loads.
    Go Well Wayne

9. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I just bought two cases of STS international 24 gram 8 1/2s at 1325fps tonight. They were somewhat cheaper than what you normally pay for Remington STS loads and I thought I would try them. Plan to shoot some in the morning through some different chokes and will report back what I find.

Mr. Mark

10. 59Fury

59Fury TS Member

I have been loading one ounce #8.5 for years but just started using the following load for 16 singles:

7/8 #8.5
    17.5 grains Promo
    Claybuster 4100-12-B wad
    Win AA hull
    Approx PSI 6900
    Approx velocity 1200 FPS

If I do my part it simply powders targets and the lighter shot charge yields another 57 rounds per bag of shot. Also, although recoil was never really an issue for me, there is virtually none with this load in my gun. One more thing...according to Alliant reference tables, approximate pellet count for 7/8 #8.5 is actually 425 versus 410 for a full ounce #8.

11. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Just got done testing the new premier sts intl. 7/8 of 8 1/2 @ 1325. I compared them to my 7/8 reload which consists of 18 grains E3 in an sts hull with wolf primer, downrange xl-1 wad and #8 shot. On paper through the ballistic specialty chokes I have, one being a 7 and the other a 12 which is theoretically a .028 and .036, they shoot to the same poi and have the same amount of usable pattern. The 8 1/2s did however, have more pellets, just not dispersed any differently.

On the trap range however things faired differently. Once again I used both chokes, shooting a box of each load through each choke. Wind was about 5-7 mph breeze in my face. Both loads consistently broke targets, but I got consistently harder breaks with the #8 loads. The alliant online reloading guide only shows my reload to be traveling 1300 fps, not sure if this could make that big of a difference. By the way I was shooting from the 20 yard line.

My conclusion: I don't think you give up that much with the 8 1/2 as opposed to 8 if there is little to no wind, (which doesn't ever happen at a shoot here in TX). However, I plan to try these same loads in the wind, (which shouldn't take long, probably later on in the day!), and expect to find that the 8s will still give me better breaks and more broken birds due to less shot deflection caused by wind. Unless someone wanted to sell me 8 1/2s for half the price of 8s I will continue to load 8s.

A 7/8 load of 8s at 1300 fps with one of the downrange xl-1 wads gives very good breaks out of that .036 choke. Lots of smokeballs!

Mr. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.