Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

8-1/2 shot?

5K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  notquite27 
#1 ·
Just wondered how many are using #8-1/2 shot. I used to use it a lot on 16 yd.targets. Especially when I was shooting both trap and skeet,because I loaded it in the 12 and 20 for skeet loads. I don't shoot skeet in competion anymore(haven't since I retired from the Air Force) and don't shoot 16 yd. much. With shot as high as it is I've been using reclaimed shot for my 16 yd. stuff and # 8s for caps. Eight and a halfs seemed to be popular for awhile but don't see people using it much now. 1 oz. of hard 8-1/2s sure turns 16 yard clays into dust balls!

#11 ·
I won a handicap event at the Grand American my first year shooting with 8½'s.

I shoot Federal Paper Extra-Lite 8½'s, well at least what's left in my inventory. They quit making them.

I also shoot 8's from the 27 and have for over 35 years. Works for me... but I shoot damn quickly.

WW

#17 ·

Locally #8½ shot is only available at the Sportsman's Warehouse which charges $43 per 25 pound bag for any size of chilled shot.

Whereas #7½ and #8 shot can be bought at the local trap club for $22 per bag.

If the #8½ shot were likewise $22, I'd probably test it for 16 yard Singles and the first shot on Doubles.

To the extent that I have used #8½ shot for those purposes, I have found it interesting and worthy of further experimentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.