1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

8/1/2 on Bios

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Will 1 oz of 81/2 @ 1185 be effective on White Flyer Bio Targets for singles & short caps?

Thanx

Phil Berkowitz

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Just as effective, as is anything if you hit the target. Bio's do tend to be slightly harder, but at 16 yd. the difference I think is nil, in my opinion. I have shot both Bio's and Pitch with 8 1/2's and noticed no difference in score, or breaks from the 16, with 1 oz. Although I think that Neil should do a test on this. I would be interested in the results. A scientific impact test is in order.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

For todays recipe, yes, they work pretty good. Not so on the old original Bios, those suckers were tough as all hades to break, with anything!

Hap

4. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Not certain that used for 16 yd and short handicap there is anything to gain using 8 1/2 vs. 8 shot in a properly choked barrel for same. Now, in small ga. (28, .410) skeet loads I have more confidence in using 8 1/2 shot vs. 9's as I get better breaks with 8 1/2 on bios. I tend to favor pellet energy vs. pattern density on tougher bio targets and shooting in windy conditions. Perhaps Neil W. will weigh in with some objective data to support or negate this thesis?

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Phil,

When I was loading, I most always loaded 8 1/2, 1 oz. shells so I could shoot trap and the wife could shoot skeet. I used them summer and winter, 16 yd and Short yardage Caps, on bios with no different results from the 1 1/8 factory 8's. Shoot them, and don't think about it. They will make that white smoke for you.

Dave in SC

6. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I shoot 8.5s in my 28. It breaks them fine inside of 40 yards. Once in awhile you'll come across a box that has some extra durable bios that made their way into a trap. That can make for a frustrating station as you watch well hit birds just puff and keep going...usually at a tangent to their original flight line.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The old style Bio's would bounce around the sky using anything less than 7.5's Maybe they've changed the recipe.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

shot410ga, White Flyer did change the recipe from the original hard as heck to break rocks. I've broken 100 straights on the newest version with 9s.

Hap

9. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

no good. you need 7.5's loaded 3 dram to crack those babies!!

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you're having problems breaking BIOS it might be best to look in the mirror for the problem. They break great with any shot I've ever used!!

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I think the deal with Bios is that the misses are easier to see. That is, they give off a nice white puff that is easy to see. This gives the perception that it "should have" broke. But that is really just speculation.

12. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

I have dozens of examples of Bios that were hit with 4-6 pellets and did not break.

I have had no luck with 8 1/2's on these targets - 3 Dr. 7 1/2's poof them.

If they have a new recipe, my club still has the old ones!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.