Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

#8 1/2 for Singles?

3K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Wayne of PA 
#1 ·
The best. HMB

#5 ·
Nice 1 oz (or even 7/8 oz) load from the 16 or first shot of doubles. They allow good pattern density - generally you can get the same number of pellets with a 1/8 ounce reduction in shot weight by reducing shot size by 1/2.

1 oz of 8 1/2's = 470 --- 1 1/8 oz of 8's = 461
7/8 oz of 8 1/2's = 411 --- 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's = 394

Don

#6 ·
Ken, I think you are heading in the wrong direction. If your barrel and full choke handle 1oz 8 1/2 well, you will be automatically getting a slightly larger pattern than you would with 8s, and definitely a larger sure-kill zone. That may be enough to get you an additional bird every event or two. Using the average Mod choke, won't.

The more open the choke, the more pellets you need to maintain the required density. If you really think a Modified choke will give you the extra pattern diameter you need to score an additional bird or two, then you'll need 1 1/8oz #9 to go along with it. Otherwise, you are just as likely to lose a well pointed bird due to holes in the too thin pattern as you are to pick up an extra bird because of the wider pattern.

#7 ·
For my 16's I use 1oz. reclaimed lead in Down Range windjammers for practice, 1oz. 8 1/2's in the same wad for local shoots, and 1 1/8oz. 8 1/2's, same wad for state shoots. I reload all of them to fall within the range of 1180-1200fps.
I like 8 1/2's but see I need to buy some 9's to see just what Bob is talking about.
Bob, what wad do you use??

#8 ·
About 15 years ago Shotgun Sports publisher Frand Kodl won the Clay Target Championship with his IM choked (0.734-0.710) Ljutic and one-ounce Reimington eight-and-a-halfs.

I've shot eight-and-a-halfs in many, many events since then (almost all 1 1/8 Oz. except for the specialized shells of the first shot in doubles) and never could tell the difference between them and eights through full and IM chokes, either in the breaks or on the scorecard.

Neil

#9 ·
8 1/2 are great if you can get them.What Bob Dodd didn't add is that he shots 7/8 oz of 9's and breaks 100's with them. Daro Handy has been shooting 1oz of 8 1/2's for over 30 years for doubles and singles. daro has a saying that applies in this instance( I think) "Most targets you miss you wouldn't have got with 2oz of shot. It's true if you think about it. Most misses are because of a "mistake" a mistake that causes a major miss and not just a miss that if you had been 6 inches closer you would have got it. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.