1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7th Grader Gets Proper Punishment

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A Student in 7th grade came home with 3 F's on his report card. The father had enough and made a dicision. He made a sandwich board and made him wear it on the busiest corner in Miami. He made him do so for all of his spring break. One side said something to I'M THE CLASE CLOWN. HONK IF YOU THINK THAT IS GOOD. The other side said something like I'M A 7TH GRADER AND I GOT 3 F's.

What do you think of the dad. Oh the dad stayed there with the kid to make sure he walked up and down the corner wearing the sign. during the time he had to.

I say good for the dad. Wish more parents would do the same.

2. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

It's good.

And the dad should be required to stand next to him with a sign that reads "I had no clue how my child was doing in school. My child is just lazy, but I'm stupid"

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I agree with you but someone who has to stick their noses in everyone's business will surely be offended

And to them I would say KMA

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

The Miami Dade County School System like many of the large systems in Florida are junk. What the father should do is get the kid out of the crappy government schools into a good local private school where he can be taught something other than how to use a condom.

T

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Humiliation is not an effective tools for modifying behavior. The kid may have been the class clown and got failing grades but none of that just materialized when he became a 7th grader - it is a reflection of his guidance at home. Odds are he will go on to substance abuse and criminal activity.

Punishment is not what this kid needs - supervision and guidance are.

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I am reminded of the story about the fellow that bought a mule. The seller told the buyer that this mule would work all day and all night. It would never stop till the buyer did and it would be ready to go again after just a few minutes to get something to eat and some water to drink. The buyer said the one thing to remember is that you always have to treat him gently and talk softly to the mule and say "Please Gid Up" to start the mule working and to say "Please Whoa" to have him it stop. But it must be in a soft voice. The seller had signed letters from others that fully supported what this mule could do and how hard it worked.

The buyer bought the mule and took it to his farm. There he hooked it up to the plow and gently said "Please Gid Up". The mule just looked at him. Again he said "Please Gid Up" This time the mule just brayed at the farmer. Again a third time he said "Please Gid Up" ever so softly. The mule again just looked at him, brayed and sat right down.

Well to say the least this farmer was MAD! He went back to the seller and told him what a liar he was and that lazy mule would not do a darn thing. Well the seller said I just don't understand. He went back to the buyer's farm with him. There he has the farmer show him exactly what he did. The farmer again talked very softly to the mule with "Please Gid Up". The mule did the exact same thing again. Looked, brayed and sat down.

The seller said "I see it and I know what the problem is." He went over to the corner of the barn, picked up a four foot long 2x4 and cracked that mule right between the eyes! The farmer just about exploded. "YOU SAID I HAD TO TREAT HIM GENTLY AND TALK SOFTLY TO HIM. THEN YOU CRACK HIM RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES WITH A 2x4!"

The buyer said "Yes, that is true, BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO GET HIS ATTENTION!"

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

The kid maybe should make another sign to wear. "I got 3 F's on my report card, but don't blame me, it might be heriditary."

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I was a child I knew I'd be in trouble if I did not do well in school. In my opinion, the problem with some children today is that their parents want to be their friends instead of being their parents. A child needs to know what is expected of them, and what the consequences will be should they fail to meet expectations.
    Steve Balistreri

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you get bad marks because you screw off you deserve humiliation.

If you get bad marks because you can't grasp you deserve help.

Too many clowns become undesirables later in life because they were not corrected.

HM

10. revbook

revbook Member

When my kids were in school I pretty much knew what their grades were BEFORE they brought their report cards home. Kids need to have realistic goals set for them. They will do their best to meet those goals if they know someone cares.

Don

11. wolfram

If you get bad marks because you screw off you deserve humiliation.

Think about that one for awhile with the understanding that screwing off is a way of getting attention.

The way to have your kid get good grades is to work with your kid and set specific times for homwork then review that work with them and reward the result. That reward is not a big material gift but rather a comment like good job or excellent when they demonstrate a small chunk of learning. This is the job of the parent not the school system.

If these concepts sound off base then ask yourself what works on training a bird dog. You don't get positive results with beating them or humilating them. You get the good results with consistent and regular training sessions followed with praise and other small rewards.

12. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Having not been a parent I don't have first-hand opinion here. But come on, no doubt this kid needs to be punished, but using your child for a public spectacle to publicly humiliate him? I don't think anyone would consider this "good" parenting. How is that going to get his grades up? It's probably going to make him think less of himself and lose any sense of self-worth and confidence so he will be screwed for the rest of his academic career. Clearly this kid has some problems in schools, and it's not going to end the problems by parading him around a street, degrading himself. Take him off xbox, Facebook, etc. and ensure that he's studying and working hard/getting the help he clearly needs. Not embarrassing him in front of everybody. Strong parenting is essential in bringing up good kids, this is not an example of strong parenting, this is an example of somebody who should not have had a child.

-Trappy

13. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

There is a proper way to motivate and humiliation is not one of them! This will probably have the opposite effect.

14. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I only got ONE F in all my time in school! After My Father got through with me with that Belt, I can ASSURE YOU, I NEVER got another one! I can only imagine what my tail end would have looked like had I gotten 3!!!!--The liberal pin heads will blame his parents,his teachers, his enviorment, or GEORGE BUSH! Heaven Forbid we hold ANYBODY accountale for their own perfornance these days!!!!

15. capulona

capulona TS Member

Really? - you got to be kidding me! HE should be the one wearing that sign. WTF did he (not) do that the kid has 3 F's? Seriously, if the kid has 3 F's in 7th grade then those parents have failed him.

Get real. School is only 50% or less of a child's education. If you are not enriching him/her at your own time out of school with Math, Science, History, Social Sciences, Music, Arts and Religion, then yes, the child will not do well in school.

In my home? Straight A's are expected. B's are punished (not in a humiliating way). And my wife and I spend almost all of our free time tutoring our children to excel.

16. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I grew up with the belt. I got it at school and at home. No big deal. I know I deserved every beating I got. These kids nowadays don't have no discipline at home. Both parents work, etc, and all of that discussion. I was on an Episcopal school board here in Amarillo for six years, and I learned alot about modern education. With computers being the norm, kids are not learning penmanship, or cursive writing, or any of that stuff. My son's writing wasn't any good. I asked her , why don't you learn these kids how to write better. She told me that the world is going to the computer, with spell check, and all of this other BS. I said, well, he has to sign his name to a check, important documents, etc. She said the computer will do it all. Well, so it goes. I'm out dated, too old, too conservative, behind the times, an old stick in the mud, and I'm not getting any. Life sucks. Regards, Charlie

17. capulona

capulona TS Member

Charlie - I got beaten up, too. My Dad was a good man, but he was a man of this time - he thought beating a kid would fix something. It doesn't . It did not fix me. I realized this when I had my own kids, I started out handing corporal punishment to my son, the eldest.

I don't think it made difference either(although he always did well). I never laid a hand on my 2 daughters, and they always received First Honors.

Here's a lesson I learned raising 3: treat your children the way they need to be treated - as intelligent, young, innocent creatures that they are. Talk to them as you would want to be spoken to: with patience and understanding.

You wouldn't beat a puppy because it did something wrong, would you?

18. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

When I got IT at school my old man was waiting for me when I got home to give it to me again with a willow switch, made me cut my own switch and he wasn't working on my bluejeans when he got down to working on my backside and I DESERVED it everytime. When I was about 14 or 15 I had enough of those whippings and he told me to go cut a switch I said " nope I am sick of that and I going to try you now" his response was a classic " just remember son before we get started if you lose its bad but if you win its worst" Well things changed after that we still had our rough times but I was not ruined for life by those whippings like some of these liberals would say the outcome would be. I am now 51 and have 2 children of my own and I think I only spanked one of them one time in 17 years so my old man did not make a bully out of me to my children. Properly applied disipline is not a bad thing but then again I am not always politically correct. But I do know public schools were better when they did allow punishment in school.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well let's examine the subject a little closer here.

This was not an 8 or 9 year old kid in the formative learning years.

This was a pissheaded 13 year old.

If you don't recall, that is the age at which attitude outruns intelligence. a veritable waterfall of testosterone is just beginning to show itself, and good decisions are hard to come by.

Never mind the koombayah crap. At that age it does nothing. I'm all in favor of the gentle understanding techniques at the earlier age. But at 13 you have to get their attention, and just rmemember, they mostly think you are full of it anyway no matter what you think. Respect to them is only desired on the receiving end.

The unsung heroes of our age are the middle school teachers.

I raised 4, and now am watching 8 grandchildren and I know whereof I speak.

HM

20. wolfram

Since when does 'formative learning years' not apply to Jr. High students?

Yes kids get a bit squirrely when they enter the teenage years but that is precisely when they need guidance and understanding. This is exactly where the wrong approach will yeild devistating results. You may think the hard road is the only way but it isn't and that isn't just a bunch of new age BS either.

One of the srengths of the human species is the ablility to learn and modify their actions for better outcomes. I made it through a lot of formal education and did well in most of it. I did so not out of the fear of punishment for failure but because I had been encouraged to succeed and mentored along the way. I did well because I believed I could.

Now if you think I was raised by some hippy dippy moon beam people you would be dead wrong - It was my Grandparents and they were as tough as nails in their expectations yet they did not use intimidation and the threat of bodily harm to get the message across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.