1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

78 mpg VW

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by trench12, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trench12

trench12 TS Member

our gov at work for you!!!

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

This guy speaks the truth, about 4 years ago while at a car show I spoke to a owner of a smart car. The guy told me they have a European model of the smart car with a 3 cylinder diesel engine that got 70+ mpg, but was not allowed to be imported hear.

3. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I saw a car made in India a few years ago was $3200 got about 62 MPG was supposed to come here. The dot says the car is too dangerous as a similar car came out months later for $15,000 got 38 mpg.
    An old girl friend surfaced in NYC, we got together, she likes toyotas, was pricing one in europe until a better job came up in NY. The price same vehicle in europe was $15,950, here was $30,450, swore. I called DOT, answer,import fees.

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

YA RIGHT, Like a trapshooter is gonna fit in an 80mpg car.....now that's funny. If I had to resort to traveling in one of those tin coffins, I'd walk or get a bicycle.

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

221 - the car trenh12 brought up is not an ultra small car. It is a Volkswagen Passat. The car in the UK gets 60 MPG average but the same car in the states gets 30 MPG average. The US will not allow the engine used in the UK to be sold here because it produces more emissions per gallon than is allowed. On the other hand it produces the same emissions per mile. Go figure!

It is not right for everyone but it would be a hell of a daily commuter and it is not a tiny deathtrap.

I looked at the video and went to both the Volkswagen US and Volkswagen UK sites to compare. The video is right on this time.

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

Does not the UK use the IMPERIAL gallon? If so that is an extra quart of fuel per gallon. I know that Canada used to use the Imperial gallon and that was 5 quarts vs our 4 quarts per gallon.

ctreay

7. oz

oz Active Member

I had a 1978 VW rabbit diesel (new) that got over 50 mpg. usually about 58 mpg.

8. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

In my travels to Costa Rico and Argentina, they have a Ford 4 door 4WD 6 speed diesel pickup, Ford Ranger, that get about 45 miles per gallon, but, ford can not or will not sell here.

These vehicals have to be one of the toughest trucks I have ever been in. The roads we were on were horificly rough, I mean beat the patooty out of the vehical and no problem just keep goin. I was amazed.

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

In Russia they have the Lada which gets 125 mpg because you have to push it most of the time.

10. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Galt

Now that's funny!

Dave

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

If your old enough and CAN remember the mid 1970's it was common knowledge that the auto industry and big oil were in bed together over MPG and Imports.

At one time the Import 4x4 pickups were HALF the price of a Full sized American made pickup. The auto industry in order to pay for the union labor and higher CEO salary's needed to sell their product for $10,000 by 1978, the Imports were taking over the sales!! DUH!

So what happened?

In 1977 or 76 Those Two groups went to the Feds and demanded HIGHER tariffs on Imports, so the $10,000 price tag could be kept in place. In 1977 The Import 4x4's doubled in price so they were just a couple of hundred of dollars less the the American 4x4.

The sales ratio changed back to about even, the industry has never been the same since.

Except the Imports still produced a better product for the money. So Sad

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

timberfaller, It was common knowledge only if one got their news from the National Enquirer.

It is also common knowledge that Neil Winston has the 50mpg carburetor locked up in his basement, he admitted to it.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

36 or 40mm Amal?

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Years ago in a Car Magazine here in the states listed the results from a 65 Mustang ?? that got over 62 MPG on Gas with minor additions mainly carburation . I`m sure the Auto Industry bought all rights to that !!! It can still be done but we won`t see it .

15. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Sorry Johnny,

I was in the 4x4 buying in the 70's, almost went the import route until the price equalized!

My Ford got 15 MPG but had room, the Toyota's got 30+MPG's lacked room!

The national enquirer back then was only bought by liberals or the poor for butt wipe!