1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

78.5 mpg BUT we can't buy it here !

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

78.5 mpg BUT we can

I got this you-tube video link from an acquaintance. After listening, I went on line and checked the VW UK and Ford UK websites. They ARE making diesels that get much better mileage BUT WE CANNOT BUY THEM IN THE USA. Even though some of the VWs are actually made here, they are exported to Europe etc. Our government at work.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
  2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its been that way for years!

Between the cooperation between the oil company's, auto makers(unions) and government, WE THE PEOPLE have been getting the SHAFT from all of them!!!

Europe is so far ahead of us in Technology in the auto world it boggles the mind!!

One example, we still use cork gaskets where the third world manufactures have found "O Rings" work better and can be reused!!

I just had my O2 Ford valve cover gaskets replaced, WHAT A CRYING SHAME!

$300 for needed new bolts(required@$20 a piece)plus cork gaskets = Almost $1000 repair!!

Had Ford gone to O Rings like GOOD engine builders have, It wouldn't have started leaking in the first place.

BUT wait, we can't have a better product's from our Auto industry!! And the local ford dealer wouldn't have make a killing on a SIMPLE repair!
  3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

For the past 3 years at least 60% of new vehicles sold in Europe have been diesel powered. We can't meet the EPA of 1 atom per 50 trillion soot another words this country is against diesels. Look at all your new medium duty pickups, besides having a $3,000 DPF exhaust filter you now have to add piss to a urea tank.
  4. 3dram8

3dram8 TS Member

I think a lot of folks are uneducated as to the new diesel engines of today, so they won't buy them. They still remember the old diesel engines that were hard-to-start in the winter, stinky, rattly when idling, and hard to find fuel for compared to gasoline. So, they don't want any part of the new diesels either.
  5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

3dr4am8:
    I think you have a point. I've owned 2-3 Mercedes-Benz diesels over the years, starting with one in the early 80s. The Klata-Klata-Klata sound that thing made was music to my ears, but my neighbors probably didn't like it all that much. AND, if I hit the pedal hard to pass a truck or something on the Interstate, Whooooosh out the tail pipe would come that lovely black soot. A beautiful sight to behold to a diesel lover, but not to the average person or environmentalist.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS I pull up next to any of the newer diesels and roll my window down and can't hear a thing.
  6. hmb

hmb Active Member

Getting back to your repair bill. The USA cars are built to fail. After a certain mileage things start to crap out. Starters, alternators, fuel pumps, etc. HMB
  7. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

I think it is called design obsolence. Tim
  8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

To make a long story short, I meet a couple at work and some how got on to the subject of how gas co are buying any and all pattents that get 100 MPG and performance. They don't want them out or any thing that might save oil. The guy got upset. Later my boss told me he was mad as hell at me but that I was right. He was a big person in Exxon. He said we do buy any and all pattents that save gas and or oil and store them away from the public.

To me thats flat out wrong.
  9. slic lee

slic lee Member

You here in the USA could have gas for less than 50 cents per gallon, same with all the other countries in the world, no drilling, no testing, no looking, no fracking.
    The country was Germany, 1942, British bombers attacking German industry day and night,Americans all day. one industry totally gone was oil. But the Germans were bright and invented synthetic oil verry cheap to produce, made gas,diesel,jet fuel everything needed the entire war machine used it. The Americans drooled at getting the formula, as usual we couldnt do anything. At wars end the German High Command,gave the formula to the Army and ALL got pardoned and left Germany for the good life. The US govt gave formula to Mobil, you heard of them and instead of making use they made a guart of oil as expensive as came out of a refinery.
    25 cents a gallon. Why,ask youselves, why is that happening, think of it when you think about your govt. Look it up, I dont expect to hear much but its as true as the sun coming up every day. You can make it yourself, see how fast they get you.
  10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

The nazi's were making their fuels from coal which they had a abundance of. It was a German scientist who invented the process of making gas and diesel from coal before WW1.
  11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The synthetic gas made from coal was and is very expensive to produce which is why it's not being produced here. The technology is no secret so anyone who wants to make it can do so. The Germans made it because Germany has very little oil and all it's supply lines were cut during the war. They needed fuel to run their war machine so cost was no object.

That BS about oil companies buying all patents which might lead to better MPG is an old myth that will never die, despite the fact that nobody has ever provided any proof of the existence of so much as a single one of these patents. Patents can't be "hidden" since they are, by definition, filed in the patent office.

It's not uncommon for some additive or little box claiming huge increases in mileage to be sold to gullible people. My favorite was the suckers that bought the magic magnet gizmo which alligned the atoms of the fuel to make it more efficient. Funny how none of these claims ever stand up to scrutiny but the gullible still suck them up.

The tooth fairy is real too- LOL.
  12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Amen, John Galt.
  13. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Made some money for J C Whitney.
  14. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Ditto Amen John Gault.

I loved the atomic/molecular alignment claim too!
  15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, in the USA we HAVE used coal gasification in gas turbine power plants. It works, but the capital cost, efficiency, and fuel cost effectiveness is nowhere near that of just burning natural gas.

Google IGCC (integrated gasification combined cycle)
  16. porky

porky TS Member

timb99- I can remember when GE tried to run their gas turbines on powdered coal. It burned real well and operated the turbine. Problem was the coal dust destroyed the combustion chamber and the downstream equipment, i.e. buckets, nozzles,seals, bearings, exhaust stacks. GE even used their turbines in Union Pacific locomotives. One turbine would pull a train of cars that usually took 4 or 5 diesels to pull over the Rockies. Problem was the operators wouldn't operate them correctly and it caused a lot of headaches for GE in trying to keep them running.
  17. Leo

Leo Active Member

I have been hearing about "the gas companies buying up all the 100 mpg patents" since the mid 1960's. I also took some physics classes in College, so I confidently dismiss 95% of the wives tales. There are only so many calories in a gallon of gas. There are more calories in a gallon of diesel, but still a limit. Get everything as efficient as possible, but the biggest thing to stretching the miles is giving up things. Give up weight, give up size, give up acceleration, give up Air conditioning. Do all your driving at 52.5 miles per hour, faster multiplies the effects of wind resistance, slower does not allow overdrive. The SCCA competitors have been having mileage contests for decades. You would be surprised at the mileage being squeezed out of a variety of cars through simple modifications and extreme driving techniques. Of course you would not want to follow them on your way to work.

I just put $60 into the tank on my Grand Marquis today. I average over 20 mpg with that car. I do not give up anything, we ride in comfort and safety at normal speeds. Because of choices I have made, I normally drive less than 120 miles a week, that is the economy I can control. Instead of demonizing the oil companies, consider that much the high cost is taxes and because our stinkin' money is worth nothing. With tax it took over $8.00 for a sandwich, fries and a Coke at a fast food stand after I filled the tank. How can we blame that on big oil?
  18. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Well said Leo. Of course internal combustion engines aren't real efficient since they waste most of the calories in the fuel by giving off heat. No doubt there is room for more efficiency but it will never approacy 100%.

It's possible to run an internal combustion engine on wood by heating wood chips to the point that they give off flamable gas but not burn. It's similar technology to using propane or CNG. Maybe some of the "big oil" whiners should give it a try.
  19. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Timberfaller,

What do the unions have to do with the availability of higher mileage vehicles in the US?

That statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The government run EPA, the oil companies, and the auto manufacturers are to blame. The unions have no say it what is built and sold.
  20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The unions support the Democratic party. The UAW wouldn't exist without Dem's and Obama. The democrats are pushing the green initiatives that drive most of these off the wall, unproven requirements.

Diesel and LP fired engines are not in their intiatives.

The iniatives are driven by political desire, not economic feasibility.

28 years to pay off a solar field and 77 years to pay off a windmill are just 2.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.