1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

7625 Powder for Games & long shots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This topic has been kicked around a lot and each of us has our own opinion on recoil and powder but I just thought I would share something that recently happened to me. I am a guy who likes fast shells of at least 1300 fps. 1350 is right where I like them. I shoot nothing but Annies, Custers, Killers, Doo Das, buddy back ups and lots of them end up way way back. Over the years I went from PB to Green Dot to 800X to Blue Dot to Herco to Longshot and back to Herco. I shot a lot of Herco over the years. I recently tried some 7625 and was so impressed I bought an 8 lb keg. I decided that I would not make a decision as to stay with it until I had used it all. My final analization of it is this. It is the softest shooting powder I have ever used. I really like it. It has two drawbacks. Price is high & it is the dirtiest powder I have ever used. It leaves no unburnt powder but sure does leave a hard to get off burnt carbon type residue in my gas port and plugs up my barrel ports. I like it enough that I am overlooking the cost and cleaning. Like most of us I will probably go to something else someday but for now, 7625 is my game

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Powder for Games & long shots

Cubancigar there used to be a load in the IMR reloading brochure years ago, it listed 32 Grains of 7625 w/1 1/8 oz shot, I loaded that up in my Mec 1 1/8th oz bar w#5s in the early 70s to shoot off the porch at Buckeye 71 gun club off I-71 and State Route 68 in the 70s. This was a 1 oz load.

They had a 10 shots from the porch, I gave some of these shells to a shooter and he broke 9 from the porch w/them, they were very fast 1500fps if my memory serves me right.

I patterned them on an old barn while out grouse hunting one year and was suprised at the pattern at about 80yards in my model 12.

I have done the Herco thing also, but mainly use 800-X for buddy back-ups and
    33.5 Grains of Longshot w/ 1 1/8th oz of 6s for long range shootoffs. This shell is 1475-1500fps, recoil is not too bad a bit more than a new AA Super Hdcp. I load it in a AA hull

My line back-up is 26 grs 800-X w/1 3/16ths of #6s in a Rio hull w/windjammer wad, Rio Primer.

Load up a box of 25 and give them a try, we shoot a lot of 3-man protections on Wednesday and Sunday, third shot pick-ups are great w/this shell.

I have shot 3- Pound kegs of Longshot and too many 800-X too count.

First shot is 19 Grs Promo 1 1/8th oz of 8s or 7 1/2s in Federal Top Gun Hull w/windjammer wad, Rio Primer.

This is an excellent registered 27 yd hdcp shell.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lou, I've had a pound of SR-7625 that a friend gave me a couple of years ago. I figured I load some hand gun cartridges with it, never thought about a handicap load. I usually use Unique for parking lot loads. What kind of pressures are you getting with your loads? How does it meter, and how is it in cold weather?? Thanks, Wayne

4. cubancigar2000

Wayne, this is what I loaded and chrono'd but I have not shot it in cold weather yet 26.5 grns 7625, 1 1/4 oz 7's, fed 12s4 wad, fed 209 primer in an active or fed paper hull. 1300fps, 9700 lbs and seems to me to be very soft in the recoil area. I have not patterened it yet but it sure seems ok

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lou, thanks.....I'm going to try your recipe with a FGM hull and a Win primer. I'll put some on paper at 50 yards and let you know. Thanks again, Wayne

6. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

26.9gr win primer fed gold medal hull and im currently shooting lage uniwads pushing 1-1/4 of 6s

cronos around 1330 out of my gun, with next to no recoil and smashes targets from whtever distance your at

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Wayne, SR7625 is a very good cold-weather powder. It, along with PB, are the only porus-based powders, and neither changes much: hot or cold.

I use a lot of 7625 in damascus guns, including for some goose-loads. It is God's 2nd powder choice, after PB, of course.

Bob

8. cubancigar2000

That is interesting James. I also have loaded this load with lage Uni Wads. I love them but only have a few hundred left. They work well in my Active hulls

9. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

i lucked out and found a whole bunch of the lage wads a few years back. i still have a good supply of them

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

CC2000,

Have you ever used 4756? It is soft like 7625 for back way up loads. Like you, I love the Activs for big loads. I haven't used the 7625, but a buddy of mine has in STS hulls. He loads 27 grains of 7625, red winchester wad 1 1/4 ounce of 5's and a winchester primer. He is right in the 1300 fps range with little kick.

My pet loads with the 4756 and an Activ hull are 32.3 grains, cheddite primer, Winchester F114 copy wad and 1 1/4 ounce of 5s or 6s.

or a little slower but heavier load is the 32.3 grains, cheddite primer, Remington RP-12 wad and 1 3/8 ounce of 5s or 6s.

I am not sure, but I thought with comparable sized loads and speed, the 7625 has a hair less pressure than 4756, but I may be wrong.

Sounds like a lot of us have fun loading and shooting the big ones. They are pretty good on crows too.

John

11. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

cuban, I too would suggest you giving 4756 a try. I like you have tried the majority including ones no longer available. I also buffer two different recipes using this powder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.