1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

75 inch Moose

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim R, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Hold on to your hat for this one....75 inch rack!

The moose in the photo is an Alaska-Yukon moose taken by Eric Arnette on
    September 5th. It was taken in the Kilbuck Mountains which is 380 miles west of Anchorage , AK .

The rack
    is approximately 75 inches wide, has about 36 countable points, and was unofficially scored by a person who is not an
    Official Measurer at around 264 points.

In the near future it'll be posted on the Boone and Crockett Club's website on "Trophy Watch"
    where the official score will be announced once it is entered.

jimr_2008_03037.jpg

2. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

WOW! That is ALOT of animal to move. Like I said to my father while we were both standing beside a bull moose I had just shot:

"Now what?".

The fun stops when the moose drops.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Talk about an animal giving you "Buck Fever". I'd probably have crapped my pants and shot over the darn thing. Impressive to say the least.

Matt

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I dont think I could have shot it with anything but a camera...he was such a grand animal I would have let him live with hopes he would pass his awesome genes on to another generation,..an ordinary young bull for the freezer would be more than enough for me along with the feeling that because of what I did that the king of the forest was still walking free in his kingdom

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I shot a 50" bull in central Alaska back in 1996. It yielded 600 lbs of meat for my freezer! Being about 1/3 larger than mine, I can only imagine how many meals this monster will provide!!!

6. CalvinMD

It would still take one hell of a freezer just to hold 600lbs!! That is a lot of Bullwinkle burgers

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Awesome!!!

8. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I only hope I will get to go Moose hunting someday, if something like that showed up, WOW!

That's one hellua Moose I hope it does real good in the B&C book.

Randy

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You would need a really big throphy room for that mount. Thats the stuff dreams are made out of!

10. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Wow!!! 75" Moose, that's gotta be some kind of record! Back around 76, my father shot a 62" one in the Yukon, and that was huge and considered a trophy. He shot the 2nd biggest grizzly that year also, 800lbs and 8' tip to tip. Nice going!

11. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Dido, CalvinMD. I've passed up lot's of once in a life time rewards, but the out come was just as rewarding. it's not important to be important! as it is to be serious about something that's is important? "personal choice"

12. porky

porky TS Member

I hope that there is some way of keeping those antlers from shrinking too much.

13. CalvinMD

Thanks to those who see my point and would have done likewise,..it would be no different if I hooked the old monster trout of the lake,..if he had made it that far ,..he deserved to make to his natural end and not at my hands...i ould have thanked him for the awesome battle and let him swim on his way to fight another day

14. grntitan

As far as the antlers shrinking, they can't be officially measured until the alotted drying time is up. Most of the time or at least with Whitetail it is 90 days. They will shrink but i don't think it will be a huge amount but i have no experiance with Moose antlers.

Matt

15. porky

porky TS Member

Did I ever tell you the time that I almost had a moose run over me on my motorcycle. I swear that if I didn't have a windshield on the 750 Yamaha, I could have went under his belly and never touched him. He had his full spread of antlers and I was just lucky that he turned back from hitting me and this is in central NY. I have a great deal of reapect for the size of moose now.

16. grntitan

Git-ER-Done---That would not have turned out well if you had hit that Moose on your bike. Heck i suppose it wouldn't turn out real well in a car either. I bet your butt cheeks were pinched. I've hit too many deer to speak of with vehicles here in Southern IL. A 300lb Whitetail does some serious damage on modern vehicles. I can't imaging hitting something that large. Would be akin to hitting a brick wall i suppose.

Matt