1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

71/2's or 8's What about 9 shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

71/2

71/2's or 8 that all we hera about here, what about 9 shot I've reloaded for years with no problems including shooting handicap and doulbes any one else like loading it?

2. Barry

Barry Member

It has to be the best kept secret in trap shooting! I shoot 9's for 16Y in almost all wind conditions and have 24 100's w/ them. Also the 1st shot in doubles. 1 1/8 oz, choke is 33 thousands.

When others tell me there are holes in patterns w/ 9's, or that any wind will blow my patterns apart or that there isn't enough energy w/ 9's to easily break a clay target, I just say "Oh I didn't know that" and never argue. Let's just keep it our secret!

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

71/2

What region or area do you shoot in ? How cold has it been when you shot good scores with your #9's. I love 8/12 shot. But in cold weather I'm switching to #8.

Phil Berkowitz

4. Shooter100

Shooter100 TS Member

Been shooting 8 1/2 for years from the 16 yard and first on doubles. I think 9 will work also. Just don't argue with the pro's

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shot smaller than #8 will work from the 16 yard line but I am not convinced it would be a good choice from the 27. I believe I will stay with #8 shot for singles and doubles and 7.5 shot for handicap until a few of the very best shooters tell me I should change. In a few weeks I will be able to chat with several All All American shooters at the Dixie Grand. I will seek their opinions. I will have to be certain that I don't ask Leo when he is not playing cards. He devotes maximum attention to card games.

Pat Ireland

6. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I use it for 16, 21, and first shot doubles regularly with better success than 7.5. Might be a head thing, I don't know. I have used it back to the 50 yard line during a pot shoot when I had no other shells and actually did better than I normally do with 6's. It was a warm, calm day, but it worked pretty well. Made a believer out of me.

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Skeet

8. guido

guido Member

YES!!

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yes, for singles, 1st shot of doubles, close 5 stand and sporting shots; even converted some of the sporters with them.....Bob Dodd

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

8-1/2 or 9's are fine..........when you can get em. Biggest problem I find with new shells or bagged shot is someone who carries it. I think most retailers carry 7-1/2 and 8's is because they are most popular, at least in my are they are.

11. macrae3454

macrae3454 TS Member

I've been shooting 8.5 and 9 (depending on what I can find) for some time from the 16Y and also the closer sporting clays targets with good results.
    Tom Saunders-Denver

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I just loaded up some 7/8's, 1250 fps, #9's. Shot here is at $39.50 + tax a bag. Though, I could save a few bucks and still get the same number of pellets in the pattern. I'll report after I shoot them from the 16.

13. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Also, a 1 oz #8.5 load has approximately the same pellet count as 1 1/8th oz #8. I suspect that the energy level is dependent upon choke. Personally, I find that I can fairly consistently smoke targets from the 16 yard line with 1 oz loads # 8.5 using 20/1000ths constriction (.740" bore) @ appx 1175 fps. So, I expect that velocity also has an impact upon the success of your load with lighter/smaller pellets.

WNCRob

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Interesting ideas on 9 shot and yardage and wind. I've never noticed any problems shooting 9's from the 27. When it's windy because our fileds face North the targets really jump so I tend to drop a few more targets.

15. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Hello
    I have an understanding now for over 40 years that when you drop 9s that you now increase your load. The 1 oz load is now heaver from the size of the shot packing together tighter. My question is for those who have been using 9s for some time do you use the same bar or bushing for 1 oz or do go to the skeet bar in the case of Mec.
    Pete

16. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

17. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

18. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

That's what is behind the skeet bar theory. Skeet bars are figured with #9 shot. Load weight will come out to 1 1/8 oz. vs. running #9 thru the more conventional 1 1/8 oz. bar. In conventional bar loads would exceed specs.

I think this is figured on chilled #9 and not #9 magnum shot. But, I could be wrong.

If I were to pick up some #9's real cheap I'd load some for 16 yd. trap but, that's not gonna happen. I reload some 8 1/2 and 9 for skeet but, shoot trap the majority of the time with # 7 1/2.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

bakergun, I weigh my shot drops when starting any day of loading and use an adjustable bar. I buy shot from the same maker and have confidence in the difference in ratios between sizes but have never counted pellets to be any more anal than I admit to.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.