1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700x vs. Red Dot. then and now

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by valmet, Jan 28, 2016.

1. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

you guys that have reloaded 700x (Dupont) back in the early 80's vs. the IMR of today, what changes have you noticed over the years compared to Red Dot. ?? thanks, dennis

2. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

don't know I cant find 700x, or red dot any more, promo is all I can get.love it

3. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold Active Member

I don't think it meters as well and it don't have many, if any yellow dots.

ganger thanked this.
  4. SCTrapShot

SCTrapShot Active Member

I load both. Red Dot for my Singles and Skeet Loads and 700x for handicaps. 700x is better for the hotter loads.

5. valmet

Harvey, thats what i remember about the old 700x was the yellow dots and at the time was considered very clean burning compared to red dot and now red dot is pretty clean. have not used 700x for many years. D.

6. Icemon

Icemon Active Member

The plastic jug is easier to pour than the old metal tins.:13:

trappster1, ganger and llukesh thanked this.
  7. Aaron Barker

Aaron Barker Active Member

id love to find some promo!!!

8. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

You can't get them in big cardboard drums anymore that were easy to dip powder from.
    The 700x tin drums were kind of a PITA to get powder from....esp. the last little bit left.

9. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I ran out of Red Dot and bought a 14oz bottle of 700X thought it was a pound and that was one thing I did not like. Two it metered very bad with drop weights plus or minus .4 gr I my self will never buy it again. I also had some bloopers. I wounded now if I had to low of Humidity when loaded. My experience with 700X was not good.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Hey Dennis, long time no talk......I'm running out of Red Dot (powder of choice for fifty years) and I just picked up a couple cans (old) of 700X and an eight pounder (new). Will be giving them a try when league starts in a month or so. I don't expect much difference (I used to use whatever I could get cheap and that included PB, 700X, Red Dot, Green Dot, 452AA and one unlucky batch of Clays) I think it might have been a wad problem with the clays but for some reason I just didn't like it in shotshells. Worked great in 45ACP.
    I'll give you my impressions of new 700X when I get some loaded to try out. (maybe at our old farts shoot Friday).

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

seems like the old school 700x with the yellow dots metered very well and was middle of the road clean burning
    I shot some, it was decent, but there were others that were more economical.

the new 700x does not meter as well, and I do not care for it.

the current red dot that I have meters well, and as long a pressure of recipe is listed as over 9000 seems to not be too terrible dirty compared to some other stuff I am have shot.

there are other powders I would much rather shoot than both of them.

those include, claydot, extra lite, and titewad to name a few

but in these times, we might need to learn to use and appreciate to some degree what we can find.

12. valmet

Stan, those 5 powders you mentioned were the only powders that i was familier with and was under the impression that 700x was a fairly quick powder and really clean burning at that time- and what i used . then for whatever reason i switched to red dot and have used it since then. lately i've heard the stories that 700x doesn't meter well. i never heard that of the old 700x, as if they changed something in the recipe. dennis

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The 700X I purchased about two years ago had yellow dots in it. It did not burn real clean so I sold off the remnants of the #8'er, after I came into some Claydot. It did seem to have a pretty quick burn rate though, according to the recipes.

14. Dickster7

Dickster7 Member

I have used the new 700x and I also believe that it does not meter very well.

15. shotgun52

shotgun52 Active Member

It was nice though when you only paid about $85.00 or $90.00 dollars for that 12# tin that seamed to last for ever.

16. kfredri

kfredri Member

Red dot all the way no but I can't speak about what things were like in the dayard of cardboard and metal jugs

17. broadway john

broadway john Well-Known Member

In the late 70's I started reloading with Red Dot and loved it. However RD became very dirty and I switched to 700X which was much cleaner. After a 30 year lay-off from shooting I returned to 700X, it is dirtier than I remember if loading less than 17 grains. Haven't tried any other powder as of late since the others are a little harder to get.

Eddiefromoverlook thanked this.
  18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Fast forward 10 months. Have a new jug each of Red Dot and 700X. Loading the Dot in 1 ounce loads, same load as my old jug and can see/feel no difference. Had to go down one bushing on my other loader set up for 1 1/8 oz with the 700X. It seems hotter but pretty uniform. Did learn my 1964 Superposed has big chambers. Shells off the 650 won't chamber in my TB if they came from the Browning. I needed one of those collet sisters anyway.
    Only about a flat of each shot so far but I'm happy with both.
    Stan

19. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Another thread dredged up by someone needing to get to 50 posts.

Geoman15 and trappermike thanked this.
  20. Icemon

Icemon Active Member

IMG_0019.JPG I just emptied this can tonight,and there still a pain in the ass to empty completely . But I still like what comes out.

Search tags for this page

burning rae of reddot verses 700x

imr 700x vs red dot

imr red powder same as red dot