1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

700X vs. PROMO

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BenelliM2, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

Just bought 8lbs of 700X not to long ago saw that promo was quite a bit cheaper what is the difference? I load only 1 oz. loads, thought about using it in the future just curious to see how everyone liked it.

Jordan Dekker,Fennville Rod and Gun Club Member

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have used 700 X since 1964 and I still think it is hard to beat, particularly for those lighter loads. I know nothing about promo though.

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Promo's just generic Red Dot, if you will.

I used to load 700x, loved it....but Promo's cheaper. Works fine.

4. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I also used to use 700X & switched to Promo recently due to availability. Works fine for me in 1 oz. loads. I use 17.0 grs. with Winchester components. I'll probably stick with Promo due to the price. John

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Promo will get the job done for you. The negatives I have noticed so far (on my third keg) are that it leaves some moisture in the chamber and it tends to leave alot of residue with the lower pressure combinations. When loaded in the 9500 psi range, it leaves the tubes fairly clean. It is a good choice for 1 Oz shells @ 1,200 FpS or 1 1/8 Oz loadings @ 1,150 FpS.

700x is a good powder for your application as well. (you already know this) The question is whether it is 40% better than PROMO - in my opinion no. I'm going through a similar struggle right now trying to justify the continued use of my favorite powder, CLAYS, over PROMO. Looks like PROMO might win out.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Been using 700X since the early 70's (1st 5 lb. can cost me $10.40) without any problems.

Why switch for a couple of bucks?

Curt

7. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Jordan-you shoulda just asked,i have shot promo since last summer,works great for my 1oz loads,and is about half the price!! Your Coach,Perry

8. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

I am going to switch to promo when I run out of 700X.

Jordan Dekker FRGC Member

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I used 700x for years. No problem. I switch to Promo for the last 3 8lbs jugs. The Promo works fine but it don't meter as well a 700x. You my have to change bushing from one jug to another so you can get the load. It's a pain in my butt. So I'm going back to 700x OR Clays. No meter problems.

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I started loading a few years back with 700x. Last summer my friends at Recob's suggested Promo to save a few $$.

I am on my 6th 8lb keg and it's great!

I weigh every new keg and I have had to use a 438, 441 or 444 bushing in my H366 depending on the lot, but I weigh everything so what's the difference?

STS, WW209, DR XL-1, 17.5gr Promo and one once of your favorite shot, kind to the shoulder and plenty of smokeballs.

I think last couple kegs are cleaner than first ones....

I can't imagine why anyone would spend more? Ben at Alliant is great at answering any questions on loads.

SW

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A couple of decades past, I did a lot of testing with different components and kept records of chronographing with different powders. No other powder came close to the consistency of 700X when comparing standard deviations with 10 shot tests. 700X often had one number SDs around 6 to 9 while most other powders varied from teens to approaching 30 SDs. Does it seem to make one hoot of difference? Not if the bird is pointed at and the trigger pulled at the right time.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have used 700-X and Red Dot since I started reloading almost 50 years ago. Promo is sort of a "generic" version of Red Dot. There are a few drawbacks, like a little variation between lots, but Promo is much more economical. I still have a few 12 lb cans of 700-X, but I use Promo for similar loads and get similar results. With everything costing more money these days, If I can save a few dollars on powder and not lose performance, why not? Just be sure to weigh your drops, especially when opening a new jug of Promo. I buy a few cases of the same lot number at a time, so I don't have too many issues with lot to lot variations. I use a different powder for the heavier 1 1/8 oz loads anyway. (Green Dot or Unique) For 7/8 0z, 1 oz, and light to moderate 1 1/8 oz loads, either powder will serve well. I don't load much over 10,000 PSI in any event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

700x vs promo

700x vs red dot
clays vs 700x
difference between promo and 700 x
promo powder vs 700x

promo vs 700x